diy solar

diy solar

How long do LifePo4 batteries last during storage and use?

I would pass. You get what you pay for. They had to cheap out on almost everything to get it to that price, and FREE Shipping? Hey, if you have the bucks, and want to play Will's role in testing it for us, i would not mind seeing your results. You may have just found the next best thing.
I would pass coz it's an obvious Scam from a new seller who claims to be in the USA but ships from China and has Zero feedback!
Jeez are you that stupid?

What are some of the other failures? Any not related to charging > 3.65v/cell or excessive discharge?

The most common early failure mode i’ve seen for banks is charging when they are too hot (over 30’C), followed by daily charging into the top voltage knee.

The most common early failure mode i’ve seen for banks is charging when they are too hot (over 30’C), followed by daily charging into the top voltage knee.
Thanks for the useful info @toms!

There are a few examples on this forum of "up in smoke events". On several of those I couldn't rule out a high temp event(s) that was unknown to the user possibly causing the problem.

I'm still curious if any of these long running cells/batteries you had mentioned used compression or containment? If so how was that done? I realize i could read the manufacturers specifications and assume that was followed assuming they suggest that in the first place.

I've only seen examples of GBS cells in what appears to be containment via web search.

All the banks i have set up use hard plastic cased cells. No compression except for mobile application where they are restrained in a container to prevent movement.

Life po batteries are cheap in China, some at that price. But ebay is not the best fhopping site. I too always pay by a method that protects me from being done.
If you buy a load in China you don't pay a lot.

And as for being small and light, they work on an different principal to old, standard batteris which contain lead and acid, and are heavy. No liquid or lead in life po batteries, they store energy in a more efficient way. They aren't compressed lead or whatever. New system entirely.

I’m more curious at how automotive charging compares to accepted ESS set up

Example, in the cheap tesla that has LiFePo cells, do they get up to 3.55-3.6v at 100% charge or do they depend more on SOC calculations vs cell voltage. I know they recommend owners only charge to 80% unless absolutely needed.

Back