diy solar

diy solar

How long do LifePo4 batteries last during storage and use?

Goombah111

I've heard anywhere between 3 and 10 years if stored properly. Ive heard anywhere between 2000-12000 charge cycles. This doesnt add up as 5,000 cycles which is consistently mentioned equals over 13 years. Assuming everything is done properly with quality batteries...

1. How long do they last on average during use?

2. How long on average during storage?

3. How many cycles on average?

4. How much of a loss in capacity after?

I've heard anywhere between 3 and 10 years if stored properly. Ive heard anywhere between 2000-12000 charge cycles. This doesnt add up as 5,000 cycles which is consistently mentioned equals over 13 years. Assuming everything is done properly with quality batteries...

It's difficult tp post an average because there are too many factors depending how the cells are used and the environment they are kept in. Heat, storing at high states of charge all have an effect. So do end of charge and float voltages. It would be best for you to refer to the spec sheet for your cells. But cells should be stored at a low SOC. Attached is a chart that might be useful to you regarding storage at different states of charge and how storage temperature has a big effect.

Attachments

• Cell Storage.png
    Cell Storage.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 48

Okay so temperature makes the biggest difference and as long as its at or below 25c(77f) it will do well. How do they do in 10c(50f)?

And between 30-70% charge (~13.0v-13.2v according to this chart below) is basically the same.

msf4vpdl-1_14.jpg

One thing I'm curious about that chart though is it says 0-10% is the best State of Charge to sustain capacity. Am I reading that wrong or should I store LiFePo4 batteries at 10-12v?

Thanks for the help.

The very best way to determine that is find the DataSheet for your specific batteries.

It varies somewhat, and mine arrived at 3.300v per cell. But as others have pointed out, they are shipped at lower voltages to comply with law.s

Should I store at 0-10% SoC as the chart suggests?

New question, I just bought this "New" "100Ah" "LiFePo" battery for 200$. What's an inexpensive way to discharge test the capacity?

202.jpg

Should I store at 0-10% SoC as the chart suggests?

New question, I just bought this "New" "100Ah" "LiFePo" battery for 200$. What's an inexpensive way to discharge test the capacity?
The chart does Not suggest anything.
Read the article i posted.
If you read it you would know storing a LFP battery empty is one of the worst things you can do.
About 50% SOC is recommended for storage.

What's the sales link on that $200 battery?
Did you receive the battery?

Read this.

What's the sales link on that $200 battery?
Did you receive the battery?
Just ordered it.
Cant get the link but heres the description

Screenshot_20210530-201438.jpg

I figured it could be a scam so I plan to test the capacity right away.

The chart does Not suggest anything.

Am I reading it wrong or is it just misleading? Says relative capacity is higher for 0-10% SoC. I know the recommended is not 0%, just clarifying the chart you posted.

Where did you buy it?
ebay?
Facebook ad?
Some website?
Why don't you have a sales link?
The scam is that you get sent nothing.
I don't need the description.

Just ordered it.
Cant get the link but heres the description

View attachment 51038

I figured it could be a scam so I plan to test the capacity right away.

Am I reading it wrong or is it just misleading? Says relative capacity is higher for 0-10% SoC. I know the recommended is not 0%, just clarifying the chart you posted.

@Goombah111
You should msg the seller to confirm you are getting a 12V 100Ah battery, might be click bait with the seller having other capacities for sale (ie. 20Ah is $200 50Ah is $430 100Ah is $860)

Where did you buy it?
ebay?
Facebook ad?
Some website?
Why don't you have a sales link?
The scam is that you get sent nothing.
I don't need the description.
Ebay. Ive been scammed before and always got refunded on high price items no problem. Hopefully thats the case this time.

Idk how to get to the link but here's the seller

@Goombah111
You should msg the seller to confirm you are getting a 12V 100Ah battery, might be click bait with the seller having other capacities for sale (ie. 20Ah is $200 50Ah is $430 100Ah is $860)
I did that and also asked if it was new or used, he said new. It wasnt a multi-item listing.

I believe the chart is just showing how much storage is for a certain voltage and that is all its telling you....

Given that they do discharge over time and if they go too low (from what I understand) I'd never store one at 10%... If it goes too low, I don't think you can bring it back (the average person).

I believe the chart is just showing how much storage is for a certain voltage and that is all its telling you....

Given that they do discharge over time and if they go too low (from what I understand) I'd never store one at 10%... If it goes too low, I don't think you can bring it back (the average person).
Not that chart, this one. I usually do 60-70% but might do 50% from now on.

Cell Storage.png

Ebay. Ive been scammed before and always got refunded on high price items no problem. Hopefully thats the case this time.

Idk how to get to the link but here's the seller
Seller in SriLanka = Scam.
There are No $200 12V 100Ah LFP batteries.
Maybe $400 on eBay but $200 shipped is not possible.

SriLanka automatically = scam?

I figured if they were scammers they would have been banned after 7 years.
They probably bought or hacked the account.
Did you read the sales feedback?
And $200 shipped is an impossible price to anyone with a bit of knowledge about LFP.

They probably bought or hacked the account.
Did you read the sales feedback?
And $200 shipped is an impossible price to anyone with a bit of knowledge about LFP.
Ive gotten amazing deals before.
Yes feedback is good but only 15 reviews so im not sure what to think. If I dont get the item i get a refund, simple as that. Usually ebay holds the money until it's delivered as well.

Back