diy solar

diy solar

How many amps can an SAE connector handle?

bob1

Just wondering how many amps these things can handle. I got a 10 AWG wire with an SAE connector at the end, and I just realized it isn't mentioned anywhere how many amps they could handle. They look quite thin compared to the wire so I'm guessing the amp rating is not as good.

Unless you have a direct SAE connection to another SAE cable, I recommend cutting them out and replacing with a Anderson Powerpole, ot perhaps something elose with a known rating.

I wanted to install SAE connectors, but found out there was no way to crimp them so an install was a cut and crimp. I decided on using Anderson Powerpoles.

For me, knowing the specs is pretty important. A lot of stuff is built with audio in mind with an amp rating actually meaning a peak rating and not a constant rating. Brass busbars is what’s coming to mind on that. I would not know the specs on an SAE cable unless I read the manufacturer spec sheet. I suspect it could be 30 amps to match 10 AWG wire, but I don’t know.

The SAE connectors all look the same to me. I got a pair of 10 awg sae connectors from amazon and they fit and look the same size as the one that came from my charger which looks like it's using a 14 awg wire, which is what makes me suspicious about how many amps they can really handle.

I suspect it could be 30 amps to match 10 AWG wire, but I don’t know.
I searched the inter web and could not find a definitive answer but most mentions were 15A. This matched the wires that I have seen attached to SAE connectors - all much smaller than 10AWG.

The SAE connectors all look the same to me. I got a pair of 10 awg sae connectors from amazon and they fit and look the same size as the one that came from my charger which looks like it's using a 14 awg wire, which is what makes me suspicious about how many amps they can really handle.
How many amps do you plan on running through it?

I searched the inter web and could not find a definitive answer but most mentions were 15A. This matched the wires that I have seen attached to SAE connectors - all much smaller than 10AWG.

That lack of specs steered me away from using them on builds. SAE connectors were the first thing I looked at for connecting my portable solar panels to me RV, but specs were not that great.

I am planning to run around 220 watts max, so I'm guessing around 26 amps max?

With a 12v lifepo4 battery so from 10-14.4v and inverter efficiency around 85%.

If you search for 10 awg sae connectors, you will see some claiming 30 amps or more. But it is hard to trust the accuracy of these specs, they just seem to coincide with the amp rating of the wire and chinese products/sellers usually have incorrect specs.

I have 10 awg SAE connectors for the portable ground solar panels outside of my RV. From the solar panels over 10 awg solar wire thru the SAE 10awg wire in to the solar DC breaker. From there on to the solar charge controller. All 10 awg. No problems. I have seen some SAE available on Amazon with 8 awg (if you want more margin). In theory the 10 awg should be good for 30amps. I have 6- 100watt flex panels (600watts) configured as portable units arranged in two groups of three wired in series parallel. Each panel Voc is 22.8 and Isc is 5.59A. In the 2S2P configuration, at best power, it should yield a max continuous current (Imp) of 10.58A and worst case Isc of 11.18A. All still well under 30A and even well below 15 amps. It will not get converted down to 12v and corresponding higher amps until it goes through the charge controller and off to the battery. So the SAE side of things is safe.

I had first used an Anderson connector for this task, letting it hang loose from my forward storage compartment access door when in use. There was no good flush mount weather proof solution I could find. This worked fine for a connection, but the need to let the compartment door remain open, even just the little bit against the wire, allowed for all sorts of flies and mosquitos to infiltrate the cabin. So I moved to the SAE connector, since it was easy, weather tight, and I use them on the ends of my other chargers and portable solar generators as well. Just convenient, and I standardized on one type of connector. When first installing the setup, you do need to pay special attention to the polarity to make sure the male and female correspond correctly---but you do this once, and you don't need to think about it again.

I have since come across another weather proof 2-pin connector you can use, and works with 50amps. Link below. The downside here is that it is expensive, bulkier, and it is yet another type of connector I won't use for any other connection.

I have 10 awg SAE connectors for the portable ground solar panels outside of my RV. From the solar panels over 10 awg solar wire thru the SAE 10awg wire in to the solar DC breaker. From there on to the solar charge controller. All 10 awg. No problems. I have seen some SAE available on Amazon with 8 awg (if you want more margin). In theory the 10 awg should be good for 30amps. I have 6- 100watt flex panels (600watts) configured as portable units arranged in two groups of three wired in series parallel. Each panel Voc is 22.8 and Isc is 5.59A. In the 2S2P configuration, at best power, it should yield a max continuous current (Imp) of 10.58A and worst case Isc of 11.18A. All still well under 30A and even well below 15 amps. It will not get converted down to 12v and corresponding higher amps until it goes through the charge controller and off to the battery. So the SAE side of things is safe.

I am quite sure SAE connectors will work for lower amps like 11-12, even tiny awg 18 can carry that much current. I'm just wondering what the higher end is. When I look at how thick 10 awg is, the sae connector looks really thin so it makes me wonder.

I'm using SAE connectors with my ground deployed panels. 640 watts of panels in series (2x320) for around 80 volts at no more than 10 amps. Works fine, no hot spots. Eventually, I'll be moving away from the SAE connectors. Subsequent to the SAE install I used one of these for a 12v DC port on the outside of my camper. I use the port to run a water pump. It's rated for 50 amps and it's a quality piece of equipment.

1668622680656.png

I have it installed on the skirt of my camper, so it isn't going through the camper wall. I suppose I could have gone through the wall, but that just adds another thing I have to caulk around every year.
1668623094197.png

I think as long as your plans keep the amperage under 30amps, and maybe with a margin of safety, you should be okay. I understand what you mean that the connector itself seems less substantial and you question the capacity. Not sure if there is a definitive answer out there as to max amp capacity of SAE connectors, as there is a large variety of makers and wire gauge. Find a quality product with at least 10 awg. The other way to look at this is to think of XT60 of XT90 connectors... they are each rated respectively for 60- and 90-amps. The maximum wire gauge for an XT60 is 12 awg, but it is still rated for 60 amps continuous power. More than double what we are guessing at for the SAE.

Is there a way to test how many amps it can safely hold besides seeing if the connector feels too hot or melts?

Somehow I got the impression or possibly wrongly assumed you wanted to use SAE connectors to connect solar panels to a solar charge controller, but in re-reading the thread, you want to connect a battery to an inverter with an SAE connector, is that correct? But at the same time it doesn't make much sense to me that you have a 220 watt 12v inverter, which is both an oddly sized rating and of limited utility. What exactly do you want to connect, and for what purpose?

220 watt is my estimated max load, I have a 300 watt pure sine wave bestek inverter hooked up to a 12v lifepo4 battery as a portable power supply mainly for power outages. Maybe I"ll add solar to it later.

Oh that is an easier answer. You will be fine with SAE for that. I have a 600w Giandel pure sine wave inverter I plug into my small DIY 50Ah LiFePo4 solar generator using an SAE connection. I never work it to the full 600w (technically that could be 50amps), but it easily powers laptops, fans, even a small air conditioner without a problem on the SAE connector. How big or small of a battery are you connecting it to?

50ah, but it shouldn't matter how many ah it is right? Also can't be sure if it can really support 30 amps if you didn't measure your load. Laptops could use as low as 30 watts and mostly does 60 watts average. The smallest air conditioners use 750 watts according to google.

Last edited:
So the Ah is an indication of what the BMS can output. A 50Ah battery can likely discharge at 50A. A window A/C unit with a rating of 5,000BTU can run on a 600w inverter. I tried it based on a Will Prowse video. But your needs will be much less with a 300watt inverter, especially if you think your max load will be 220w. I wouldn't agonize further over using an SAE connector for your plans.

Back