diy solar

diy solar

How much panel power can an Epever 30 amp charge controller handle....getting mixed info.

Is there a rule of thumb on how far away from the Max PV voltage you should stay?

NEC values:

or:

Look at the record low for your area. Use the panel Voc temperature coefficient (listed in the datasheet) to compute the adjusted voltage. This value must not exceed your MPPT voltage limit.

If the panel doesn't publish it, a conservative value is -0.4%/°C from 25°C, e.g., if it's 0°C, your panel voltage would increase by (0 - 25) * -0.4% = +10%. Thus if your panel Voc is 50V @ 25°C, it will be 55V @ 0°C.

Last edited:
NEC values:

or:

Look at the record low for your area. Use the panel Voc temperature coefficient (listed in the datasheet) to compute the adjusted voltage. This value must not exceed your MPPT voltage limit.

If the panel doesn't publish it, a conservative value is -0.4%/°C from 25°C, e.g., if it's 0°C, your panel voltage would increase by (0 - 25) * -0.4% = +10%. Thus if your panel Voc is 50V @ 25°C, it will be 55% @ 0°C.
Thanks eggo

Is it better early mornimg and later evening due to it reaching charging voltage faster?
Yes- ish.
In my case it made a remarkable overnight state of charge difference that confused me at first but it was consistent for a couple weeks so I thought it through carefully. My conclusion was that it maintained just enough input voltage later in the day resulting in lessening the battery bank usage time period. Nevertheless, series voltage is probably only a small portion of the advantage: pointing one half the array SW and the other SE is most likely the biggest difference as the SW panels produced an hour or more later in the day. The series voltage just accentuated that a bit in both clear sky conditions and overcast.
One weird thing I also experience is that on bright days winter and summer I can get 150W+ from the SE array mid afternoon which is long after it has stopped direct sunshine exposure.

There are no miracles but taking advantage of a bunch of little advantages stacked up - in my situation- put me “over the edge” of my typical Wh demand keeping the batteries full closer to sunset. A major disadvantage I have is leaving my panels vertical- no tilt- year ‘round so they don’t accumulate snow in winter. Some summertime tilt on the SW array I’d guess would likely be a more noticeable difference.

What it comes down to is that even in winter with full sun I’m recharged by mid AM- so there is excess until the sun begins setting; cheating in maybe another hour of charging watts above or equal to demand made the difference for my too-small system.

NEC values:

or:

If the panel doesn't publish it, a conservative value is -0.4%/°C from 25°C, e.g., if it's 0°C, your panel voltage would increase by (0 - 25) * -0.4% = +10%. Thus if your panel Voc is 50V @ 25°C, it will be 55V @ 0°C.
On another note I have 18 sunpower spr-x22 360w panels on my east array and Victron rs 450v/100a mppt. Do you think I can get away with 6 Series 3 Parallel on the first tracker and my other array with REC pannals (south) on the second tracker. I added specs of both devices. If in just to be clear the amperage will cap if I go over?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117_141334_OfferUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_141334_OfferUp.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20230117_162049_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_162049_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 6
6*69.5 = 417V

(450-417)/417 = 7.9%

Using the NEC chart, you should be good provided it never gets colder than 5°C.

Using this:

-167.4mV/°C (same as 0.24%/°C)

7.9%/.24% = 33°C, thus using panel specific data, you're good down to -8°C.
Yeah I've never seen it reach that temperature in the lower levels of the desert. How about the amps is that an issue

19.5A total. 12awg is fine, but you'll probably want 10awg.
The RS 450 says 18a per tracker 20a short I was looking at 10awg depending on The length of the run. Maybe 8awg. The other thing I was curious about is GFPD. Not sure if the RS has that reading code over 2 branch Circuits needs a GFPD. Could not find that info.

Last edited:
The RS 450 says 18a per tracker 20a short

You're under that.

I was looking at 10awg depending on The length of the run. Maybe 8awg. The other thing I was curious about is GFPD. Not sure if the RS has that reading code over 2 branch Circuits needs a GFPD. Could not find that info.

No idea. Not sure how GFPD applies or even can apply to PV.

You don't ground the PV. You ground the panel frames.
You ground battery (-), same as AC ground (which grounds the MPPT)
You ground AC ground
You bond ground to earth
You bond N to G in exactly one place only.

You're under that.

You ground AC ground
You bond ground to earth
You bond N to G in

You're under that.

You ground AC ground
You bond ground to earth
You bond N to G in exactly one place only.
I was referring to this. See attached. It looks like It has earthfault protection.

Attachments

• Solar Array GFP.pdf
    190.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230117_182449_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_182449_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
PV + and - are never connected to ground unless you've done something wrong.
I understand that. I think it was stating in the event like a rat chews a wire or it gets accidentally shorted to ground some how Its a Safety feature.

Have an Epever 30 amp charge controller with 600 watts solar panels but am getting conflicting information from the Epever Data sheet it reads: "Max Solar Input Power 390W (12V)" but further down it says
"Solar Panel Max Input Power 500W -1000-W"
So...which is it?

Have an Epever 30 amp charge controller with 600 watts solar panels but am getting conflicting information from the Epever Data sheet it reads: "Max Solar Input Power 390W (12V)" but further down it says
"Solar Panel Max Input Power 500W -1000-W"
So...which is it?
I have the 3210an and I believe you can over panel this mppt charge controller up to 150% (from page 13 of the 3210 an user manual). I'm running 2-200 watt 24 volt panels in series so 400 watts @ 24 VDC. It matters what voltage you use into the controller. The higher voltage the lower the current (amps). Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I believe it's 390W 12v and up to 1000w @ 24v. I agree with what hank said you can over panel it. I think it caps it at 390w even though you have 600 watts of panels.

Last edited:
have the 3210an and I believe you can over panel this and most mppt charge controllers up to 150%. I'm running 2-200 watt 24 volt panels in series so 400 watts @ 24 VDC.
Unless the manufacturer’s spec sheet mentions “150%” one probably shouldn’t assume 150% over-wattage.

Epever equipment is commonly mentioned by users overpanelling by a lot. I’m unclear on whether 200% or even 300% is a problem with Epever specifically, but other brands do not always have overpanelling tolerance according to reports here and other interestingnet discussion sites.

Just thought mentioning that 150% is an arbitrary number in factual considerations. It’s not a rule, it’s an arbitrary assumption if not specifically mentioned in the manual for the equipment in question.

Unless the manufacturer’s spec sheet mentions “150%” one probably shouldn’t assume 150% over-wattage.

Epever equipment is commonly mentioned by users overpanelling by a lot. I’m unclear on whether 200% or even 300% is a problem with Epever specifically, but other brands do not always have overpanelling tolerance according to reports here and other interestingnet discussion sites.

Just thought mentioning that 150% is an arbitrary number in factual considerations. It’s not a rule, it’s an arbitrary assumption if not specifically mentioned in the manual for the equipment in question.
Good point.

Back