diy solar

diy solar

How to charge/discharge batteries at specific time daily

blacktimber

I'm knew to the forum. I have question about battery charging/discharging at same period each day but first a little explanation. I have a PV array installed about 8 months ago. So far very pleased with my choices. My next move will be to install battery backup system. I have lived in Phoenix, AZ area for the past 20 years and I can count on one hand the number of times we had a grid outage, and then for no more than a few hrs. My battery system therefore will have one purpose only and that is to mitigate the KWH usage during on-peak demand. Currently my system overproduces daily an average of 50 KWH during the may-october months. Power company buys it back but at rediculous low price. When my PV production fades in the late afternoon and evening I have to rely on grid at much higher cost. These higher KWH costs are tiered and can be expensive! I want to be able to capture that excess power during the day and store in batteries then discharge during the late afternoon and evening to reduce or eliminate the peak demand charges. My calculations show that storing and discharging around 40KWH/day would keep me in the lowest on-peak demand charge bracket, and that would be a big savings. Tesla batteries offer a solution but at a premium price and its way overbiuld for what I need. For example I would not benefit from whole house monitoring system or auto transfer switch in the event of grip going down. If the grid ever goes down historically my sytem will be back up in a few hrs. I'm willing to live with that. Also the added cost to install those additional components would not be cost effective. What the Tesla battery provides and what I need is timed charging and disharging of the battery. With a timer I can charge the battery during the day when I overproduce and then discharge at on-peak demand. These would be the same timed events every day. In addition, the timer would allow the battery to fully charge at night during super off-peak in the event the previous day was cloudy. So far I havent been able to find a way to control an inverter/charger to do this. Hopefully someone can direct me on this forum. Thank you.

sol-ark as well as several other all-in-one inverters will do time of day net zero management.
sol-ark will also AC couple to an existing grid tie only inverter to manage those panels also. (quickly covered in the above video)

Last edited:
Not all power companies will let you do what you are talking about. I would check with them prior to any equipment purchase.

Revo II will also let you choose the time to discharge the cells to the grid.

Mind you, that it's not specifically build for USA system.

240v is not +120 and -120, it's 240 on load and 0 on neutral.

If that's what the company feeds you, you can feed it back.

Otherwise need converter.

Back