diy solar

diy solar

How to coordinate PV module purchase with permits and interconnection application

zanydroid

Solar Wizard
(Question is for California -- SF Bay Area and PG&E)

For both the city permit, fire department, and interconnection application, it is necessary to list a specific model and number of solar panels. However, there's a bit of a risk here.

If I buy the panels and stockpile them, there is a chance that the two sets of paperwork will not accept that panel model or that number of panels.

If I wait until the permit and interconnection applications are approved, then I could still get into an endless loop if panels go out of stock, where I have to keep resubmitting the three sets of permits (and paying a recheck fee every time, stacks up to ~$500). Theoretically, apart from the number and size of panels, I could be stuck in a loop forever and never converge.

Is it a standard arrangement with distributors to place a deposit / full payment for panels but not take delivery of them, while the permits are being processed?

If the proposed panels meet specs, they will be approved. Basically, if they have the correct UL listing they're good.

What's your concern? Do you think the city (or whoever is doing the inspection - AHJ) won't like your layout or do you have another issue with the permits?

Where are you buying panels? If your buying new, I've picked up from a couple places in driving distance. They all would tell me if they thought they might run out on my timeline.

Oh, my revision only cost like $90, the permit was $450, but the revision is less expensive if it is a straight manufacturer substitution with similar specs.

Where can I read up on the UL listings <-> California building code mapping?

Layout is a minor concern, I worry about it less than having 20 PV modules I 100% can't possibly use. If I have 2 extra PV panels I can't use, I don't mind, I saved a lot with DIY already.

Another potential risk is PG&E rejecting the interconnection application, I have really bad solar access so my DC and AC size are 2x higher than their standard calculation. I installed an undersized solar system very recently.

Layout I can mitigate by outsourcing the planset and having a backup place to put the extra panels. There are 2 panels that may need to move, depends on how they interpret the "street side access path" rule.

I'm not sure where I'm buying the panels yet, flexible. I don't have a truck so ideally they would facilitate delivery.

With regard to revision. I asked, they don't have a policy for cheaper revision / skip revision. Nor do they provide Simple Plan. The city is $200 min resubmission fee (min recheck fee for 30 min), while the fire department is $200 flat resubmission fee.

Actually now that I write it out, that's even more reason to pay someone for the planset to reduce the chance I have to resubmit.

Since you live in California, I believe this can help to solve your problem:

Use only the panels listed in that spreadsheet for your project. If everything else is correct, the project will be approved and the panels never rejected.

Ah, thanks, I was looking for this. I had found a 2 year old version of this on their website that said it was no longer being updated, so I wasn't sure if there was even a central list these days. I will confirm this with my contact int he building department.

I was glad to help. BTW, I live in Arizona, and my utility is SRP. They use California standards and documentation for DER.

Hope it could help some AZ residents coming to this forum.

I was glad to help. BTW, I live in Arizona, and my utility is SRP. They use California standards and documentation for DER.

Hope it could help some AZ residents coming to this forum.
Hey I know this is an old post but I was reading about SRP's requirements and I didn't see anything about panels needing to be specific brands or anything. Did I miss that?

Back