diy solar

diy solar

How to get communication information from an SCC ?

I noticed that SCC provides numerous settings and communication interfaces.

For a DIY installation, I would like to know if there are easy way ways to get status information from an SCC?

In my situation, I will be off-grid so my batteries will be charged only from the sun.​
(A) When the batteries are charged, I plan to use the solar surplus​
to temporarily run an extra load during sunlight (heating water, charging an EV...)​
(B) At night, when the batteries are discharged but if I still need power,​
I have a transfer switch to go back to the grid, something that will often occur in winter.​
I can manually perform the (A) and (B) operations, but I would like to run those functions automatically.​
I can build around my system some battery voltage trigger, to detect if the battery voltage is Low or High.​
I could even measure Voc input to determine if there is solar energy available​
depending if it is sunny outside or is too cloudy, or it is night time.​

But it would be simpler if I could get such information directly from an SCC?​

Would it be easy to get the SCC status information to trigger a relay or any external interface sytem?

Last edited:
I noticed that some SCCs provide an AGS (Auto Generator Start) signal to start and stop an external generator.

I wonder if I could use such controls to provide a solution for my above inquiries, such as:

(A) When the SCC detects that the batteries are charged, a signal is set to turn off the generator, to avoid overloading.

- Could I use this signal to control a diversion (or dump) load, or more simply to start an external Inverter?​

(B) When the SCC detects that the batteries are low, a signal is set to start the generator.

- Could I use this signal to disconnect any loads, or more simply to stop an external Inverter,​
to protect the batteries, since I only want the batteries to be charged using solar energy?​
I would be very interested to know if someone already tested such function.

I wonder in particular in the case (A) what action the SCC might take when detecting
that the batteries get discharged instead of been charged.

Last edited:
Back