diy solar

diy solar

Paralyzed by information overload

An AIO such as MPP Solar discussed above is functionally an ATS/UPS that produces seamless AC output from PV, Battery, and Grid input. When the battery runs down, the AIO uses grid to ensure continuing AC output and when the battery get's charged up (by PV or grid) it uses the battery to provide the AC output - automatically "set it and forget it".
Okay, so an ATS not really needed with the AIO. And, am I correct that I can either put my loads in a separate sub panel or the MTS?
And if I'm using the MTS, I can pretty much always leave them switched into the gen mode since the grid will keep my battery full enough to continually power it?

Okay, so an ATS not really needed with the AIO.
Yes

And, am I correct that I can either put my loads in a separate sub panel or the MTS?
Yes. The MTS gives you individual circuit control. A sub panel is all circuits in the sub panel or none.

And if I'm using the MTS, I can pretty much always leave them switched into the gen mode since the grid will keep my battery full enough to continually power it?
Yes

A pro with an MTS is you can choose all or none or 1 or 2 - choose how many circuits are being powered by the AIO vs 100% grid by simply flipping the switch between Gen and Line. This let's you control how much load is on the AIO till you figure things out in more detail.

Another pro is that you can flip all the MTS switches to Line (grid) and work on the AIO or upgrade it etc.... and all the circuits will work on grid till you're ready. This makes my spouse happy because there's no interruption in the home while I work on the solar system :)

Yes

Yes. The MTS gives you individual circuit control. A sub panel is all circuits in the sub panel or none.

Yes

A pro with an MTS is you can choose all or none or 1 or 2 - choose how many circuits are being powered by the AIO vs 100% grid by simply flipping the switch between Gen and Line. This let's you control how much load is on the AIO till you figure things out in more detail.

Another pro is that you can flip all the MTS switches to Line (grid) and work on the AIO or upgrade it etc.... and all the circuits will work on grid till you're ready. This makes my spouse happy because there's no interruption in the home while I work on the solar system :)
When you wire your loads into the MTS, you re-wire everything I’m guessing? Easier than trying to find and move existing wires.

When you wire your loads into the MTS, you re-wire everything I’m guessing? Easier than trying to find and move existing wires.
The load wires (such as to say the living room lights) to circuits in your Main panel are disconnected from their breaker and spliced to a wire running to the MTS individual transfer switches. This is the output side. The 2 inputs to each of those switches is either a power from Main panel to the transfer control panel or power from an alternate source such as a generator or inverter.

The above should be done by someone versed in electrical wiring.

Back