diy solar

diy solar

How to ground Will's hand truck system?

ArtieKendall

In Will's recent video about a portable hand-truck system, he spends quite a bit of time on safety, even joking about telling newbies not to have the AIO plugged into the wall when connecting the wires, just to make sure that every detail is covered. Yet the only mention of grounding is connecting the AC in and AC out cords to the ground screws on the AIO unit.

But the manual for the EG4 battery says it must be connected to a grounding rod, which obviously wouldn't make it very portable.

So what's the deal? They can't both be right. Do you need to ground the battery or not?

This should be so simple, but I've watched a couple dozen YouTube videos on grounding, and they all seem to go into confusing detail about parallel inverters, or opening up the case and removing a bonding screw, or something else that has nothing to do with a basic battery-and-AIO build.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The shore power ground line is your connection to the grounding rod.

That's similar to how it works on an RV. The shore power ground is what the RV uses on the AC side for a ground.

The shore power ground line is your connection to the grounding rod.

That's similar to how it works on an RV. The shore power ground is what the RV uses on the AC side for a ground.
Thank you for the response, but I still feel like I'm missing something. I can see that the AC-in will ground the inverter, but I don't see what grounds the batteries. Do the cables from the battery bus bars to the AIO ground it? Is the EG manual recommendation for a ground rod there because I might use a pure inverter with no AC-in rather than an AIO like the EG4 3000?

Sorry to keep asking this, but I feel like this is the last piece I need to build my system.

If it is a stand alone setup, it would need a ground rod, or if mobile, it needs to be grounded to the chassis of the vehicle that drives it.

To keep all potentials together in a hand truck build, put a screw in dog teather and ground it to that.

I also just bought an EG4 3kW EHV-48 solar inverter charger and an EG4 server rack battery 48V 100ah (?) from Signature Solar and am trying to figure out grounding and breakers. The manual that came with the inverter says that I should have a breaker attached to each of these lines : the a/c in, the a/c out, the battery in cables and the PV in wires. That's 4 breakers that aren't included in the video where Will Prowse sets up the hand-truck system. I'm kind of confused. The EG4 3kW inverter included a DC breaker and now I'm shopping for the other 3 breakers that I need?? Do I need to install these breakers? Where do I buy them? What about a box - should I be parking all these breakers in a single box somehow? They're all for different lines.... Any advice would be appreciated.

Back