diy solar

diy solar

How to Optimize PV Charging?

rjolicoeur

I have a few questions about how to optimize an array to maximize charging.

I’ve learned that it’s critical to stay under the max voltage rating and adjust for temperature.

Unless I’m mistaken, being over amperage shouldn’t matter.

Is total wattage an issue?

For example, I have a Delta Pro that supports 11-150V DC input, 15A max current, and 1600W max charging power.

Most of the array configurations I’m looking at are above 15amps, and the total watts are over 1600. Will that work, or do I need to stay under the 1600-watt rating?

I noticed that if the Delta Pro were charged at its stated max volt & amp rating, it would be over the wattage rating (150v X 15a = 2250w).

After adjusting for temperature, how close to the max voltage can or should an array be?

Any thoughts or tips on optimizing PV Charging would be appreciated.

Most of the array configurations I’m looking at are above 15amps, and the total watts are over 1600.

how close to the max voltage can or should an array be?
What array configurations are you looking at? Panel specs, Voc, watts, Isc?

Is there a stated MPPT range on the Delta Pro? The optimized range is usually up to about 90% of max input voltage, based on temp adjusted Voc.

I can't find any information on the MPPT range for the Delta Pro.

I have eight 100w Renogy panels & four 200w Renogy panels:

100w.PNG
200w.PNG
Allowing for down to -30C, the Voc should be:
Voc.png

Configuration Option 1:
4 groups with One 100W and one 200W in parallel.
1 group with Three 100W in parallel
Combing those in series gives me 141.5 Voc & 15.6 Isc at min temperature & 102 Voc & 14.73 Isc at STC

Configuration Option 2:

2 groups with two 200W in parallel
2 groups with four 100W in parallel
Combing those in series gives me 147.9 Voc & 20.84 Isc at min temperature & 106.4 Voc & 19.64 Isc at STC

Configuration Option 3 (requires an additional 200wW panel):
5 groups with One 100W and one 200W in parallel.
Combing those in series gives me 141.5 Voc & 14.87 Isc at min temperature & 102 Voc & 13.76 Isc at STC

What is considered an optimal configuration?

Is the goal to make the array close to the max voltage rating when it's at minimum temperature while generating as much wattage as possible at STC?

Thank you for your assistance!!!

I have a Delta Pro that supports 11-150V DC input
8x 100W 24.3Voc 5.21Isc temp adjusted 28.3Voc
4x 200W 27Voc 9.66Isc temp adjusted 31.5Voc

My best guess:
2P 100W in series with 2P 100W in series 2x 200W both in series = 119.6 Voc temp adjusted @ 9.66A

Is the 15A limit the max the it will pull from the array? If its not a hard array limit, i would put 2 of these in parallel.

If you can figure out what the 15A input number represents it will make this easier to get optimized.

Sorry, wish i had a good answer.

I submitted a support request to Ecoflow to get some additional information about the input ratings for the Delta Pro.

Your post was very helpful, I hadn't thought of connecting some panels in parallel, then connecting those in series, and then connecting two sets of those in parallel.

By the way, that's a great icon. =)

Thanks for your assistance!

Back