diy solar

diy solar

How to replace 2 SoK 12V BMSs with 1 24V BMS?

Wildman13

I have 2 12V SoK batteries wired in Series to a 24V Growatt.

I have been dealing with BMS issues while traveling in Alaska. After talking with SoK they said the Growatt system as a high spike in voltage when turning on and that it burns out the 12V BMS included in the batteries.

They told me I needed a 24V BMS to handle the high spike and they would send me it to me. I asked how hard it would be to install (swapping BMS is easy but this seemed much different) and they said just a wrench, easy.

I finally got the 24V BMS and its just an internal BMS with wires and then some external battery cables. It has been 2 days trying to get instructions from SoK and they keep sending me the wrong install videos then saying sorry wrong one after i point out the video they sent me has nothing to do with my situation.

Dealing with this company is a nightmare.

Has anyone taken 2 12V 206ah SoK batteries, removed the BMS and then somehow wired one 24V BMS to both of them?

That just sounds like a nightmare.
I can't see why they would suggest that.

Well if everything is bolted together inside the SOK it's just a matter of tearing out the cells, undoing all the wiring, then building a 24v 8s battery from the "raw" cells.

Are you talking about inrush current? Or while already connected to the batteries, the inverter is turned on?
well there English isn't the best. Here's what they said.

"Growatt inverter, when turn on or off, it has a very high peak current, it would burnt the BMS"

so then I asked about compatibility with Growatt and they said

"No, SOK Battery support, but GROWATT inverter issue, it easily burnt BMS with high peak current"

Back