diy solar

diy solar

How To: Schneider and EG4 Battery Integration

It is frustrating and absurd that the vendor, which sells both batteries and inverters, would not put an end to this question. The battery manual has one information, the battery spec sheet another setpoints, the battery website lists yet other settings, and every time I call for support they give me different settings. I just don't understand why they would not get to the bottom of this and lock the correct settings for the EG4 + Conext system. I've struggled with this since purchasing my system.

In any case, for what's worth here are the settings that currently are working for me:
Thanks for this. Since I get overvoltage protection at 56.2v, I doubt I'll have luck with your 57+v settings. That said, maybe I need to top balance these guys. Maybe I'll put my system in bypass, and let it top balance for a day or so.

The short answer is yes:

- I was able to connect the EG4 to the Schneider Conext
- Conext reads battery info correctly
- I can read EG4 data on InsightHome local network

The issue I thought I was having seems to be random and it hasn't happened again.

The only issue I seem to have is the fac that I can't control inverter charger based on EG4 SOC. Apparently the SW4048 does not support that, which makes no sense to me since the menu options are there.

At this point I am satisfied with the combo and don't even care that much to follow up on this last thing, so I feel like my setup has been basically commissioned.

Thx. So you are running closed-loop?
Correct. the 6 lifepower4's are daisy chained, and the "primary" battery is connected to the insight home.

Correct. the 6 lifepower4's are daisy chained, and the "primary" battery is connected to the insight home.
Which has priority? Inverter charge parameters or BMS? Are Schneider charge controllers part of the closed loop system?

Which has priority? Inverter charge parameters or BMS? Are Schneider charge controllers part of the closed loop system?
From everything I've read and been told by schneider, only the inverter itself does closed loop. The CC's do not.

There are some params in the inverter that if you try to change them, they look like they applied (or are greyed out so you can't change them) but then when you check again they have reverted.

The charge controllers are not closed loop. So, you manually configure things like bulk/absorb/float, etc etc.

I am grid tied, and use a wattnode to do zero export (so it sells power back to the main panel, but not out to the grid). I've noticed that this causes one oddity I'm trying to find a solution for (I have a support ticket in with schneider). That is, I set my grid support to 80%. When the battery is below 80%, it sends all solar energy into the batteries and doesn't support the grid (or the protected loads).. when it hits 81% SoC, it then zeros the enrgy coming in from the grid until it gets back to 80%. I'm concerned that this is causing microcycles on the battery.. and thus, I'd like it to just send any excess to the main panel and protect loads, as soon as it hits my SOC preference.. rather than this charge/sell/charge/sell cycle.

From everything I've read and been told by schneider, only the inverter itself does closed loop. The CC's do not.

There are some params in the inverter that if you try to change them, they look like they applied (or are greyed out so you can't change them) but then when you check again they have reverted.

The charge controllers are not closed loop. So, you manually configure things like bulk/absorb/float, etc etc.

I am grid tied, and use a wattnode to do zero export (so it sells power back to the main panel, but not out to the grid). I've noticed that this causes one oddity I'm trying to find a solution for (I have a support ticket in with schneider). That is, I set my grid support to 80%. When the battery is below 80%, it sends all solar energy into the batteries and doesn't support the grid (or the protected loads).. when it hits 81% SoC, it then zeros the enrgy coming in from the grid until it gets back to 80%. I'm concerned that this is causing microcycles on the battery.. and thus, I'd like it to just send any excess to the main panel and protect loads, as soon as it hits my SOC preference.. rather than this charge/sell/charge/sell cycle.
So, who's driving the bus? Is the inverter strictly charging to the BMS 100% - or is it reading the BMS in order to adhere to its own programmed percentage of charge instructions? Thx..

So, who's driving the bus? Is the inverter strictly charging to the BMS 100% - or is it reading the BMS in order to adhere to its own programmed percentage of charge instructions? Thx..
As near as I can tell, the BMS is "in control" (evidenced by manual settings being reverted, and other settings being greyed out not allowing them to be manually overriden.

As near as I can tell, the BMS is "in control" (evidenced by manual settings being reverted, and other settings being greyed out not allowing them to be manually overriden.
Thx. How did you go about setting up the connection - did you go by the instructions in the SSolar video... Or?

This video should cover everything, if you have any issues pls let us know in the comments below or share your success system images.

IMPORTANT: you do not need to buy the Schneider battery monitor if you buy these batteries; save yourself some money pls.

Today, I received 3 EG4-LL V2 Batteries and follow carefully the instructions on this video to create a closed loop communication between the batteries and the Schneider XW Pro 6848 but I was not able to create the communication. When i go to “device detection” step, and put the range from 1 to 10 and hit detect, it wont detect any device. Can someone post the correct pinout for the comm cable? Im currently using pin 1 and 2 from the ethernet (white-orange and orange) cable to pin 9 and 11 of the 12-pin connector on the Insight Home.

Today, I received 3 EG4-LL V2 Batteries and follow carefully the instructions on this video to create a closed loop communication between the batteries and the Schneider XW Pro 6848 but I was not able to create the communication. When i go to “device detection” step, and put the range from 1 to 10 and hit detect, it wont detect any device. Can someone post the correct pinout for the comm cable? Im currently using pin 1 and 2 from the ethernet (white-orange and orange) cable to pin 9 and 11 of the 12-pin connector on the Insight Home.
A few things:

1. Each out to SS and ask for a cable. I am surprised they didn't include in your order.

2. Try first connecting the battery to the laptop via bms program. After you confirm that communication then try to connect to Insight Home.

Good luck!

A few things:

1. Each out to SS and ask for a cable. I am surprised they didn't include in your order.

2. Try first connecting the battery to the laptop via bms program. After you confirm that communication then try to connect to Insight Home.

Good luck!
Thanks for you reply,
Today I tried to connect the batteries to the laptop using the BMS program but it didnt work. I dont know if I am using the right cable. I am using a cable that came with the order that has a usb dongle on one side and an rj45 on the other end. It only contains 2 cables, one white and one green (D- and D+). Comm port on the computer is #4 and so in the BMS program.

+++ Update+++
I was able to connect the primary battery to the insight home but it only sees one battery. What I did was to change the primary battery address from 1 to 2 on the dip switches and by doing that the Insight was able to detect only that battery. I will keep looking for a work around on this.

Last edited:

Hi,
I'm having the same concern. Did you found a solution for the "microcycles"? I just need to send the excess to the grid. Instead it is constantly charging/discharging the battery.

Hi,
I'm having the same concern. Did you found a solution for the "microcycles"? I just need to send the excess to the grid. Instead it is constantly charging/discharging the battery.

So, I got 2 pieces of info.

1) Schneider told me this is "expected" for now.. but they are working on a firmware so that it will handle the DC flow more like what it does with lead-acid or non-BMS batteries. (ie, what we described above, when the CC's go to float, ship the excess back to support the zero sell config)

2) EG4 doesn't think microcycles are an issue IF those cycles aren't above the 80% SOC, or below the 20% SOC. Apparently for this chemistry most of the damage occurs when the batteries go from 100-80%, and 20%-0%. between 80-20, apparently its a non-issue.

So what I've done for me: Changed my grid support SOC to 30%. Overnight, it'll "zero sell" down to 29% and stop. Then the next morning, the solar will recharge it to about 75%. (It only works for me because I don't have enough solar to get the batteries back to 100% from that 30% level.). In my case, 30% will still run my critical loads for 24 hours if needed. It however IS enough solar to charge my batteries to 100% ina. "grid-down" situation where only my critical loads are being powered.

It's not an ideal situation, and I'm hopeful that firmware update will fix it.

One thing I've done, is added a calendar entry. Once a month, I'll be shutting off the "grid-tie" breaker, and letting it operate in offgrid mode for a day, to let the batteries hit 100% and balance the cells.

Thanks for you reply,
Today I tried to connect the batteries to the laptop using the BMS program but it didnt work. I dont know if I am using the right cable. I am using a cable that came with the order that has a usb dongle on one side and an rj45 on the other end. It only contains 2 cables, one white and one green (D- and D+). Comm port on the computer is #4 and so in the BMS program.

+++ Update+++
I was able to connect the primary battery to the insight home but it only sees one battery. What I did was to change the primary battery address from 1 to 2 on the dip switches and by doing that the Insight was able to detect only that battery. I will keep looking for a work around on this.

I didn't see this post, so apologies for the delayed reply.

If you haven't figured this issue out yet.. you have to make sure the dip switches on all of the batteries are set to a different "ID", skipping ID "1"

Your inverter uses "1". so, I have my 6 batteries set 0,2,3,4,5,6.
With that, I have each battery connected to the one above it.. and the top one has a second wire that connects from RS-485, to the insight device.

I didn't see this post, so apologies for the delayed reply.

If you haven't figured this issue out yet.. you have to make sure the dip switches on all of the batteries are set to a different "ID", skipping ID "1"

Your inverter uses "1". so, I have my 6 batteries set 0,2,3,4,5,6.
With that, I have each battery connected to the one above it.. and the top one has a second wire that connects from RS-485, to the insight device.
Hi, I am trying to get my Schneiders to read the BMS in the EG4-LL batteries, and I see that you set the first battery to 0. Was this so you could make the connection? When I do the Device Detection it finds one device, but no BMS appears as a device. I am wondering if it is because my first battery is set to "1". I have the V2 batteries, but they have only 4 dip switches instead of the newer ones with 6 dip switches.

I have finally added (2) more EG4s to my setup and I would like to understand how this should be integrated with InsightHome: should I (still) see only one Battery Info (Device 0) or should I now see all (3) batteries under IsnightHome?

I still only see one EG4, under device 0.

I have finally added (2) more EG4s to my setup and I would like to understand how this should be integrated with InsightHome: should I (still) see only one Battery Info (Device 0) or should I now see all (3) batteries under IsnightHome?

I still only see one EG4, under device 0.
Did you follow the device detection procedure? When you go to Devices>BMS>Maximum Discharge Current should read 100amps by the amount of batteries you have (If they are 100 amps). I have 3 batteries, see the screenshot.

1684974946868.png

Did you follow the device detection procedure? When you go to Devices>BMS>Maximum Discharge Current should read 100amps by the amount of batteries you have (If they are 100 amps). I have 3 batteries, see the screenshot.

View attachment 150474
Hi Matrico,
What inverter are you using? I am using the Schneider Electric XW Pro and I, like the others, cannot set my battery to dip switch 1 and have InsightHome find it. After I set the dip switch to 2 (or something other than 1), InsightHome finds one battery--not the 6 I have installed. I would probably cry if I was able to see 300A Maximum Discharge Current in the BMS as you have it. It seems like the XW Pro requires the "1" address, but the EG4 batteries require the "1" address in order to be considered the "main" battery. I've been fighting this for weeks. Does ANYONE know how to get the XW Pro to read all 6 batteries? If so, please... screenshots and PICTURES!

Secondly, I am still somewhat unclear what the settings should be for my Schneider Charge Controller. I have the settings below but have no idea if they are correct. I have the EG4 LLs with the 6 pin dip switches. Can anyone confirm?

Another "gotcha" I found out today is that the Schneider Electric XW Pro WILL NOT accept single phase generator power when you are running it in split phase. The only solution I've found is to buy a battery charger: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-chargeverter-battery-charger-48v-100a-5120w-output-240/120v-input

It blows my mind that SignatureSolar sells these hardware "systems" with absolutely no instructions on how to configure the system. https://signaturesolar.com/complete...ll-v2-battery-powerwall-8-200-watts-of-solar/

Are these settings correct for the Schneider MPPT with EG4 LL?
1686084213241.png

Hi Matrico,
What inverter are you using? I am using the Schneider Electric XW Pro and I, like the others, cannot set my battery to dip switch 1 and have InsightHome find it. After I set the dip switch to 2 (or something other than 1), InsightHome finds one battery--not the 6 I have installed. I would probably cry if I was able to see 300A Maximum Discharge Current in the BMS as you have it. It seems like the XW Pro requires the "1" address, but the EG4 batteries require the "1" address in order to be considered the "main" battery. I've been fighting this for weeks. Does ANYONE know how to get the XW Pro to read all 6 batteries? If so, please... screenshots and PICTURES!

Secondly, I am still somewhat unclear what the settings should be for my Schneider Charge Controller. I have the settings below but have no idea if they are correct. I have the EG4 LLs with the 6 pin dip switches. Can anyone confirm?

Another "gotcha" I found out today is that the Schneider Electric XW Pro WILL NOT accept single phase generator power when you are running it in split phase. The only solution I've found is to buy a battery charger: https://signaturesolar.com/eg4-chargeverter-battery-charger-48v-100a-5120w-output-240/120v-input

It blows my mind that SignatureSolar sells these hardware "systems" with absolutely no instructions on how to configure the system. https://signaturesolar.com/complete...ll-v2-battery-powerwall-8-200-watts-of-solar/

Are these settings correct for the Schneider MPPT with EG4 LL?
View attachment 151960
We have precisely the same problem. I have the same 6 dip switch batteries and identical inverters. I have seen the "new" instructions for Schneider with EG4-LL batteries, but I have not been able to upgrade the firmware on the batteries yet. Did you do that? I have 12 of the batteries.

The old manual that was posted for the batteries had the following numbers in it:

Bulk / Absorption 55.7
Float 54

I see you have some 56.2 numbers in your settings. Where did you get those numbers? A later manual?

I also agree that it is insane that Signature sells these kits without information on how to use the pieces together. The Schneider manuals are excellent, but it would be great if they would take the time to actually write a document on how to get them integrated with their batteries. I see Youtube videos, but old ones with obsolete information are still posted. People post links to videos that I cannot find on any of the EG4 or Signature Youtube channels.

Back