diy solar

diy solar

how to test the health of a deep cycle battery with this tester?

WWG

This is my tester. I can easily test the health of my vehicle battery by entering the CCA value from the battery. But I am now testing a few deep cycle AGM batteries that are 100 AH each. I do not know their CCA value.

The tester also allows me to enter the following units: CCA, BCI, CA, MCA, JIS, DIN, IEC, EN, SAE, and GB.

Cold cranking amps batteries are optimized for high initial power ie. for starting motors in a few seconds.
Deep cycle batteries are optimized for slow release over hours and are best for solar applications. And that's why they don't have a CCA rating because that's not what they're designed for.

Those CCA testers only measure the internal resistance and calculate max current based on this.

If you enter 1000A as CCA, and it calculates 600A, it shows 60% health.
If you enter 600A and it calculates 600A, it shows the same result as 100% health

This says nothing about actual capacity (it's only common this decreases if the cca goes down, but you can't take this for granted).

Only way to properly determine the state of a leisurebattery is fully charge and do a discharge test at 0.2C (usually) and see how the battery voltage curve goes.

Those CCA testers only measure the internal resistance and calculate max current based on this.

If you enter 1000A as CCA, and it calculates 600A, it shows 60% health.
If you enter 600A and it calculates 600A, it shows the same result as 100% health

This says nothing about actual capacity (it's only common this decreases if the cca goes down, but you can't take this for granted).

Only way to properly determine the state of a leisurebattery is fully charge and do a discharge test at 0.2C (usually) and see how the battery voltage curve goes.
thanks, this is what I suspected.

Cold cranking amps batteries are optimized for high initial power ie. for starting motors in a few seconds.
Deep cycle batteries are optimized for slow release over hours and are best for solar applications. And that's why they don't have a CCA rating because that's not what they're designed for.
Then, if I do have a battery tester, TopDon BT200, and I need to use it for deep cycle battery testing, what shall I use as a battery test standard (CCA, BCI, CA, MCA, JIS, DIN, IEC, EN, SAE, and GB). These are the available test standards in the tester. The battery I have is ultracell ucg 200-12 Vrla rechargeable battery

Then, if I do have a battery tester, TopDon BT200, and I need to use it for deep cycle battery testing, what shall I use as a battery test standard (CCA, BCI, CA, MCA, JIS, DIN, IEC, EN, SAE, and GB). These are the available test standards in the tester. The battery I have is ultracell ucg 200-12 Vrla rechargeable battery
From my testing I've found that for flooded tubular batteties I use the following values:
Battery type: Flooded/EFB
Standard: CCA
CCA Value: (Ah rating x 2.1) eg. A new 220Ah battery will have CCA of about 460 and internal resistance should be around 8 milli ohms

Last edited:
Back