diy solar

diy solar

Hoymiles HMS-2000-4T-NA [240]

They do offer an API but it's a paid service that uses the S-Miles cloud, and as I understand it you get your own server to play with.
Locally, the best you can do is Sense Solar to monitor home production and consumption. It works great and for $400 it's worth it.

The Hoymiles inverter does not require a DTU to operate. It doesn't need the cloud in the way Enphase needs the cloud, but without a DTU you can't change the grid profile. It comes from the factory set for CA Rule 21. In NC, I have to change it to IEEE 1547. An installer could set it with his own DTU, then remove it.
does Hoymiles now offer any box to allow battery backup and self consumption modes with only residual export of unused energy (or can you cap your export in the DTU?)

thanks trying to decide between this system and Enphase for 30 520 watt CS panel system.

does Hoymiles now offer any box to allow battery backup and self consumption modes with only residual export of unused energy (or can you cap your export in the DTU?)

thanks trying to decide between this system and Enphase for 30 520 watt CS panel system.
@ncsolarelectric

I have about 15kW-AC of HM microinverters on my roof

DTU has zero export/export limit mode with a Carlo whositthat, energy meter for feed in limit compliance. I expect that is fairly widely deployed overseas but I don’t know that for certain.

I haven’t looked at the hybrid inverters/storage from Hoymiles yet.

I was planning on looking in 1-2 years at whatever hoymiles have at that point, plus whatever the cool kids in 2025 use for AC coupled hybrid inverter.

I'm interested in those as well. However, since i'm in an appartment block getting panels on the roof is difficult (shared roof, so multiple owners)

Now we are looking into a solution allowing multiple appartments to use their own solar panels. So the plan is running the inverters to different appartments (so far, no problem). Basicly just installing 4 separate sets, only on the same roof.

However I can't find any information about the DTU gateways. Do we require 4 units, 1 for each 'install'. Or (preferably), can we use 1 gateway to connect all inverters (they are all within range off course) to the cloud?
Only requirement is having the option to assign inverters to subaccounts, so all users can only view the unit(s) connected to their appartment.

Anyone with some more insights in the cloud app/integrations? Does it allow subaccounts and assiging only specific inverters to that subaccount?

I presumed it does not support sub-accounts, I have two DTU (kind of pricy) because I have a DIY hoymiles install and a turnkey one on my roof and I do not want to mess up my warranty.

Why do you care about that multi-user/multi-tenancy model on the DTU? Sometimes viewing is just for entertainment, it is for me 75% of the time. (*) You can also achieve some generation reporting by using a unit like Emporia Vue, those are cheaper than a DTU. Looking at panel level statistics are mostly a DIYer and engineering kind of thing, whereas the overall array generation is the metric that the majority of users care about.

You can also try OpenDTU to save some money. Not sure what UI it provides.

The Hoymiles ModBus interface is very well documented, so it's eminently plausible to build your own cloud & UI. Or modify OpenDTU to do the correct reporting. But it may not be cost-effective to do the software development for 4 people in one apartment building (see (*)). If there is broad social value maybe you can offer a bounty or lobby the OSS community to build it.

Yes, the export control requires a specific WattNode meter and CT's. I have several customers using this to control and prevent export. I don't know if you have already decided. Sorry, it's been a busy month. I can be reached at ncsolarelectric@gmail.com. I'm working on getting the new Hoymiles Hybrid inverter and a Soluna battery to test. They're going to be very affordable!

Does anyone have experience with Hoymiles warranty service and replacement in the US? Can owners contact Hoymiles directly for support?

Does anyone have experience with Hoymiles warranty service and replacement in the US? Can owners contact Hoymiles directly for support?
Yes, they do have a support portal, but you can also contact me directly for support. I've sold over 100 of these inverters in the past 16 months and there have been zero failures, No replacements were needed. 100% happy customers.

Last edited:
Glad to see you back Todd.

Are the Hoymiles any closer to an off grid solution yet? I’ve got a Quattro and lots of panels. Will be installing this fall.

Glad to see you back Todd.

Are the Hoymiles any closer to an off grid solution yet? I’ve got a Quattro and lots of panels. Will be installing this fall.
Yes, I just ordered the first one for myself this morning! The HYS Hybrid Inverter, HYS-7.6LV-USG1. It is compatible with Soluna batteries EOS 5k LV, and 10k LV, which I am also ordering this week. The Soluna battery can do 6000 cycles to 90% DOD, and is rack, floor, or wall mountable.

When they get here I can make a video. Maybe afterward I can send one to Will Prowse to make a video.

See attached datasheet. The pricing isn't set yet but I'm sure it will be less expensive than the equivalent EG4, Sol-Ark, or Victron. I'll keep you posted... I will be taking pre-orders very soon! I need to order at least 100 of these to keep the cost low. You can stack up to 4 in parallel.

Attachments

• HYS-LV-USG1-Series_Datasheet_EN_V0.7.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • EOS-5K.pdf
    17.6 MB · Views: 7
Signature Solar sells gateway for ~$200.

Signature Solar sells gateway for ~$200.

Huh? That is for NEP, this thread is about Hoymiles. On top of that, Hoymiles is either 2.4GHz or Sub-1G radio, and this monitoring thing is wired PLC.

Huh? That is for NEP, this thread is about Hoymiles. On top of that, Hoymiles is either 2.4GHz or Sub-1G radio, and this monitoring thing is wired PLC.
One of the posters here was complaining about prIce. Just letting him know there’s cheaper options out there.

One of the posters here was complaining about prIce. Just letting him know there’s cheaper options out there.
IMO that should be presented as a system cost not a individual monitoring component cost.

For HM/HMS series hoymiles microinverters this project can help: https://github.com/tbnobody/OpenDTU

The cost is a RF shield ($10 on AliExpress, $20? from NA/EU stock?) and a ESP32 (<$20 NA/EU stock) plus your time.

Some people may enjoy cutting the cord of clouding into China.

IMO that should be presented as a system cost not a individual monitoring component cost.

For HM/HMS series hoymiles microinverters this project can help: https://github.com/tbnobody/OpenDTU

The cost is a RF shield ($10 on AliExpress, $20? from NA/EU stock?) and a ESP32 (<$20 NA/EU stock) plus your time.

Some people may enjoy cutting the cord of clouding into China.
I had a customer who tried this, wasted a few weeks working on it and then bought a DTU. The Sub-1G is proprietary to Hoymiles. It's not easy to hack.

I had a customer who tried this, wasted a few weeks working on it and then bought a DTU. The Sub-1G is proprietary to Hoymiles. It's not easy to hack.

The Github claims there is support now for that, the documentation up there seems pretty good as these projects go, but you always have to do some due diligence with these things. (EG there's a ton of documentation on Arduino stack but arguably that stack is optimized for education/DIY and not production embedded systems work).

I didn't go this route because I did not anticipate needing finer control than what ModBus on DTU already provide.

Even if someone does not use OpenDTU, the fact that the project exists hedges against DTUs no longer being available (for whatever reason, maybe Hoymiles ends up having bad support in 10-15 years, it's always hard to say, and there aren't enough Hoymiles kit sold in North America for used market to offer enough into eBay). DTU is a single point of failure.

Back