diy solar

diy solar

Hybrid output function?

Mattb4

Solar Wizard
Just got in a new PowMr 3KW (SRNE) AIO on Friday this week. Basically identical to my EAsun 3kw unit it will replace but it allows up to a 450Voc versus the old 100Voc and 80a charge vs 60a. Reading through the manual I see several additional settings parameters most of which concern battery communications (the old one lacks all that). However one is the Hybrid output function (setting #34)

It states, "Hybrid output function, in UTI mode, the PV first only charges for battery, the left energy will power on the load, but not feed back to the grid."

Rather mangled verbiage. I gather if enabled while in UTI mode of operation (setting #1) that it does more than charge the battery from available PV. I am just unsure of the purpose of using this function. If anyone could explain it to me I would appreciate it.

Comparing the two manuals more closely I notice that the PowMr has another output mode that might correspond to the Hybrid output function (#34). It is called Mixed function mode (screen shot of it below) It would seem that in this mode that it could work batteryless and it is operating in parallel with AC in to supply AC out to the load. If so than this is not a true Off grid AIO.

1688923746890.png

If so than this is not a true Off grid AIO.
When it has a battery does it behave like a true Off Grid AIO?. If so that would fit my definition of a "hybrid". I have seen reports that some hybrids do not perform as well as true Off Grid inverters but I don't know the details.

When it has a battery does it behave like a true Off Grid AIO?. If so that would fit my definition of a "hybrid". I have seen reports that some hybrids do not perform as well as true Off Grid inverters but I don't know the details.
I have not wired it up yet so my only information is the manual. In the other modes it would match my old off grid AIO. It is just this added mode that I suspect it becomes what I would think of as an zero export hybrid grid tie.

I just read the first option as a zero-export, charge priority. In batteryless/battery-full mode you always need the grid to buffer for changes in load, since the MPPT is not instantaneous.

Not in relation to my question of this Thread but I notice another difference concerning the old and new AIO's in their respective manuals. The rated AC output from the inverter of the old EAsun 3KW-U is 25a the new PowMr is 27.5a.

When I first saw a listing of the SRNE AIO that eventually led to me buying this PowMr, for the higher PV voltage range, it claimed to be a 3300w unit. The PowMr list itself as 3000w. But if you add in that extra 2.5a of inverter AC out you do get 3300w output (120vX 27.5a =3300w).

Keeping track of these on grid, off grid, hybrid on grid and hybrid off grid AIO's is getting confusing. For those of us that do not want an interconnect agreement with our utility company it pays to research ahead of time to ensure there is no way to send power back to the grid. Even if only for a millisecond.

Just got in a new PowMr 3KW (SRNE) AIO on Friday this week.
?
Keeping track of these on grid, off grid, hybrid on grid and hybrid off grid AIO's is getting confusing. For those of us that do not want an interconnect agreement with our utility company it pays to research ahead of time to ensure there is no way to send power back to the grid. Even if only for a millisecond.
I assume that would not be possible with a grid-tied inverter. If I set our Solis to zero export it takes a few seconds to adapt to the CT readings (which trigger every second), so you accidentally export a bit every time a big load switches off.

I assume that would not be possible with a grid-tied inverter.
Once the GT inverter loses the grid signal it will shut down. You could AC couple it to a hybrid inverter configured for AC coupling. The hybrid's transfer switch would isolate the GT inverter from the grid. I am assuming that the GT inverter is connected via the critical loads panel fed from the hybrid.

?

I assume that would not be possible with a grid-tied inverter. If I set our Solis to zero export it takes a few seconds to adapt to the CT readings (which trigger every second), so you accidentally export a bit every time a big load switches off.
Parallel AC power sources are always going to influence each other. It is the nature of the beast. It is just a convenient fiction to say that one or the other is carrying a particular load. Loads are in common and if you pick up a kw on one supply it has to reduce that kw from another supply.

Parallel AC power sources are always going to influence each other. It is the nature of the beast. It is just a convenient fiction to say that one or the other is carrying a particular load. Loads are in common and if you pick up a kw on one supply it has to reduce that kw from another supply.
Did you find out what that is? I think that is some remnant from their grid tied versions, Dont think it has any function where you to change any of #34 settings.

My unit which almost same as yours but 230v 5.6kw dont even have that step, it goes 31,32,33 then 35 when cycling the settings and in the pc monitoring software #34 is set as "reserved" as in not in use I guess.

I have made no attempt to find out if it is works as described in the manual due to my need to not ever send power to the Co-Op. You will notice a rather long Thread on the Forum concerning SS and a EG4 18K unit where the issue of backfeed is a major concern.

It would be interesting to see it tested though.

Comparing the two manuals more closely I notice that the PowMr has another output mode that might correspond to the Hybrid output function (#34). It is called Mixed function mode (screen shot of it below) It would seem that in this mode that it could work batteryless and it is operating in parallel with AC in to supply AC out to the load. If so than this is not a true Off grid AIO.

View attachment 156579
I have enabled that mode in option 34 and have not seen this icon show up like that. I haven't tried turning it off and on to see if it would change yet either.

1712351736627.png

I have enabled that mode in option 34 and have not seen this icon show up like that. I haven't tried turning it off and on to see if it would change yet either.
As I understand the setting you must be in UTI mode (setting #1) for it to function. Your screen indication is you are running from inverter.

Can you grab a photo of the screen display?
1712579022355.png

I didn't have any AC input at the time of this photo. I can get some later this week in other modes. you can see in this mode that the solar PV is charging the battery and also supplying the loads. Basically running in off grid mode.

I was curious of it when operating in hybrid setting #34 (without battery or battery full) and setting #1 in Uti, so that requires grid connection. It should show similar to the image in the manual that I posted above. With both a line from the PV and a line from the grid to load at same time. That would indicate Hybrid mode. Yours is simply showing typical off grid mode.

I suppose I could setup to operate on a generator for AC in to prevent any possibility of grid export. May try that at some point just for the heck of it.

Oh BTW. Good to see you having incoming watts (.790kW or 790w) that indicates that your solar system is working.

I was curious of it when operating in hybrid setting #34 (without battery or battery full) and setting #1 in Uti, so that requires grid connection. It should show similar to the image in the manual that I posted above. With both a line from the PV and a line from the grid to load at same time. That would indicate Hybrid mode. Yours is simply showing typical off grid mode.

I suppose I could setup to operate on a generator for AC in to prevent any possibility of grid export. May try that at some point just for the heck of it.

Oh BTW. Good to see you having incoming watts (.790kW or 790w) that indicates that your solar system is working.
yep. Everything is working. I can test the setting for you this upcoming saturday and will send a pic then. It won't take me long to do that.

@Mattb4 1713190038651.png1713190056418.png

I have not been able to create that function yet. I can ask PowMR staff how to though. I am in a whatsapp chat with one. they have been responsive and helpful - far more than i expected.

Back