diy solar

diy solar

I am always fantasizing about having a energy efficient air conditioner for van life, anyone seen any concepts in tech news or anything?

Still, at 24v that's 30 amps. Better than a roof air but not that great.

The 24v Chinese model isn't very efficient. The Midea is just a mini split with high efficiency SEER rated compressor made to fit into a window. Interesting concept though.

Most Regular Window A/Cs have around 10 BTU/W

My Minisplit at home runs at 12 BTU/W

Don't make me break out my hvac license on this thread!

Heh...
One pipe units, be it a server rack unit, or a portable unit are garbage for space cooling.
Trying to run one off batteries and solar is a fools waste of wattage.
If the server unit can draw the condenser air from outside, it would be better, but it is still a pittance of cooling for a vehicle like a van.
Ev compressors with compatible oil to the refrigerant chosen are the best, minisplits are next if condenser space exists...
I'm thinking about building a rail mount ac system for my van

Use a large refrigerator setup...

Surprised nobody has mentioned the 'Zero Breeze' portable AC unit yet, its a dual hose input/exhaust and provides 650 watts of cooling @ 240 watts of power used (whatever that works out to in BTU) and runs directly off 24V DC power. Spendy though, about $900

https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/mark2

zerobrz.JPG

Edit: 650 watts converts to 2217 BTU.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody has mentioned the 'Zero Breeze' portable AC unit yet, its a dual hose input/exhaust and provides 650 watts of cooling @ 240 watts of power used (whatever that works out to in BTU) and runs directly off 24V DC power. Spendy though, about $900

https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/mark2

View attachment 44557
Yeah... that is about 2,218.43BTUH OR JUST over 1/5 of a ton...
Kinda spendy for a novelty cooler.

I sell a lot of ac equipment. I have commercial coolers, I have a sub-zero cooler set.
I think combined with an inverter ecm driven compressor i can custom build a system that will sip power, and be very efficient...

I sell a lot of ac equipment. I have commercial coolers, I have a sub-zero cooler set.
I think combined with an inverter ecm driven compressor i can custom build a system that will sip power, and be very efficient...

What is your professional opinion about those:

seems somewhat simple DIY R134A - not super efficiently - but looks like easy to mount to either a roof rack or underneath the vehicle

A 3.1 cu ft mini fridge can be bought at Walmart for $130
Nearly the same tech needed for a mini AC

I have yet to understand why a 1000 btu miniaturized version of a 5000btu window unit has not been made?
I do believe the components are readily available?

Something about 10in wide x 12in deep x 7in tall using 500watts max startup surge and 100 watts running...on DC

All in the $500 or less price range. Millions would be sold if they were reliable
That’s essentially what a dehumidifier is...smaller than a AC, bigger than a mini fridge. It just heats the air after it has cooled it off: interrupt that and you have a weak AC or powerful fridge ? I used one in exactly that manner to control fermentation temps back in my home brewing days.

A small mini split would be MUCH more efficient...

This guy was working on a new AC. I don't know how far he's gotten since posting about his project

What is your professional opinion about those:

seems somewhat simple DIY R134A - not super efficiently - but looks like easy to mount to either a roof rack or underneath the vehicle
Looks like a simple solution. Also looks like it is variable speed... I wish it had specifications.

Looks like a simple solution. Also looks like it is variable speed... I wish it had specifications.
There are some specs when you scroll down the Ali Article

Voltage: DC 12V / 24V Current: 50A+-2 / 30A+-2 Rated speed: 2000 / 2600rpm Speed range: 1800rpm - 3000rpm Rated power: 600W / 800w

The shipping cost is almost as much as the unit unfortunately.
even with shipping - it's $800 for the whole system.

You are saving a huge inverter - because it's direct DC. So might make sense in some cases.

And this is only the beginning - when more people ask and order the price will come down.

I ordered this unit. It took about 3 weeks to get here. I should have it installed on my van this weekend. The compressor is actually 12v so I am happy with that. I know of read about some people that got "12v" units that just had a boost converter for a 24v compressor. I am still trying to figure out what modes and such it has. I think it is variable speed.

Where do I sign ??? (y)

I ordered this unit. It took about 3 weeks to get here. I should have it installed on my van this weekend. The compressor is actually 12v so I am happy with that. I know of read about some people that got "12v" units that just had a boost converter for a 24v compressor. I am still trying to figure out what modes and such it has. I think it is variable speed.

Please keep us updated on this.
It says it's 2300watts.

that's cooling power for people in the metric system which don't work with weird imperial units

2300watt cooling power = roughly 8000 BTU

The electrical power it draws will be somewhere around 600-800 watt
This is about what I was told. I'm going going to order a power supply for some testing. I'm trying to decide is I can get away with 800w or if I need 1000w. I'm worried about the start.

That is a nice unit. I wonder if it could be mounted vertically along a wall. Only 6.5 inches tall above a roof. Keeps us posted on the results.

Back