diy solar

diy solar

I am always fantasizing about having a energy efficient air conditioner for van life, anyone seen any concepts in tech news or anything?

View attachment 44527
Sure, Van and A/C works.

This is my old Setup which I built in 2016. 6000 BTU On-Off A/C with hard start kit and a 1200W Inverter running of 450AH of 12V lead anchor weight :p

In my house I got a Midea Inverter Window A/C - would be much better.
Better be careful, didn't RoadTrek patent that idea? :cool:

Finally, someone gets it.

Yes, the unit would have to be modifired to work in a van. It is not designed to draw condenser air from outside the room.

The intake air side.
View attachment 44526

Just a thought......

If that tube / opening on the top is an INTAKE, and blows cool fresh air OUT through the condenser, then all you'd need to do is run that pipe to an outside fresh air source, then vent the condenser opening to the outside.

The evaporator unit appears to be on the other side, set up to cool the space on the other side.

This could still work. You'd just need two openings, one for cool air INTAKE and one for HOT air exhaust.
The room pressure would stay balanced, just like a window AC unit.

I wonder just how efficient those are. No SEER rating for one, big range on watt usage. It appears they are using the electric compressors from an EV.

I wonder just how efficient those are. No SEER rating for one, big range on watt usage. It appears they are using the electric compressors from an EV.
Interesting thought:

Just replace the engine driven Compressor on the Van with an Electric one - and use the onboard A/C components to run cooling ?

they are direct DC probably a heck lot more efficient then doing DC - AC - AC - DC for any other way of Air Conditioning.

SEER rating is garbage anyhow. The only thing which matters - is how many BTUs you get per Watt The ratio's are important.

From that A/C
Rated power: 740 - 265 Watts

Cooling capacity: 2000 - 720 Watts ( 6824 -2457Btu/h )

2457 BTU / 265 w = 9.3 BTU /W

6824 BTU / 720w = 9.2 BTU /W

For comparison 1 watt is defined as 3.4121416331 Btu/h

So those things are getting about 3X

The Midea U- Shaped have 15 BTU/ Watt

So there you get about 5X - the question is - are we losing 2X with all the conversions?

Interesting thought:

Just replace the engine driven Compressor on the Van with an Electric one - and use the onboard A/C components to run cooling ?
Not that easy, one is compressor oil for a EV such as the hybrid Prius uses has an oil that is not electrically conductive, you can't intermix any R12/R134a oil with it as it will short the windings out in the compressor. You would have to start with a brand new clean install.

Second, many of the EV compressors run at 48v or higher. I just looked in my supplier catalog and Sanden has one electric that operates between 200v to 432v. My cost is just under $1500 USD and that's wholesale. That's just crazy, must be an interesting application.

they are direct DC probably a heck lot more efficient then doing DC - AC - AC - DC for any other way of Air Conditioning.

SEER rating is garbage anyhow. The only thing which matters - is how many BTUs you get per Watt The ratio's are important.

From that A/C
Rated power: 740 - 265 Watts

Still, at 24v that's 30 amps. Better than a roof air but not that great.
Cooling capacity: 2000 - 720 Watts ( 6824 -2457Btu/h )

2457 BTU / 265 w = 9.3 BTU /W

6824 BTU / 720w = 9.2 BTU /W

For comparison 1 watt is defined as 3.4121416331 Btu/h

So those things are getting about 3X

The Midea U- Shaped have 15 BTU/ Watt

So there you get about 5X - the question is - are we losing 2X with all the conversions?

The 24v Chinese model isn't very efficient. The Midea is just a mini split with high efficiency SEER rated compressor made to fit into a window. Interesting concept though.

Still, at 24v that's 30 amps. Better than a roof air but not that great.

The 24v Chinese model isn't very efficient. The Midea is just a mini split with high efficiency SEER rated compressor made to fit into a window. Interesting concept though.

Most Regular Window A/Cs have around 10 BTU/W

My Minisplit at home runs at 12 BTU/W

Don't make me break out my hvac license on this thread!

Heh...
One pipe units, be it a server rack unit, or a portable unit are garbage for space cooling.
Trying to run one off batteries and solar is a fools waste of wattage.
If the server unit can draw the condenser air from outside, it would be better, but it is still a pittance of cooling for a vehicle like a van.
Ev compressors with compatible oil to the refrigerant chosen are the best, minisplits are next if condenser space exists...
I'm thinking about building a rail mount ac system for my van

Use a large refrigerator setup...

Surprised nobody has mentioned the 'Zero Breeze' portable AC unit yet, its a dual hose input/exhaust and provides 650 watts of cooling @ 240 watts of power used (whatever that works out to in BTU) and runs directly off 24V DC power. Spendy though, about $900

https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/mark2

zerobrz.JPG

Edit: 650 watts converts to 2217 BTU.

Last edited:
Surprised nobody has mentioned the 'Zero Breeze' portable AC unit yet, its a dual hose input/exhaust and provides 650 watts of cooling @ 240 watts of power used (whatever that works out to in BTU) and runs directly off 24V DC power. Spendy though, about $900

https://www.zerobreeze.com/pages/mark2

View attachment 44557
Yeah... that is about 2,218.43BTUH OR JUST over 1/5 of a ton...
Kinda spendy for a novelty cooler.

I sell a lot of ac equipment. I have commercial coolers, I have a sub-zero cooler set.
I think combined with an inverter ecm driven compressor i can custom build a system that will sip power, and be very efficient...

I sell a lot of ac equipment. I have commercial coolers, I have a sub-zero cooler set.
I think combined with an inverter ecm driven compressor i can custom build a system that will sip power, and be very efficient...

What is your professional opinion about those:

seems somewhat simple DIY R134A - not super efficiently - but looks like easy to mount to either a roof rack or underneath the vehicle

A 3.1 cu ft mini fridge can be bought at Walmart for $130
Nearly the same tech needed for a mini AC

I have yet to understand why a 1000 btu miniaturized version of a 5000btu window unit has not been made?
I do believe the components are readily available?

Something about 10in wide x 12in deep x 7in tall using 500watts max startup surge and 100 watts running...on DC

All in the $500 or less price range. Millions would be sold if they were reliable
That’s essentially what a dehumidifier is...smaller than a AC, bigger than a mini fridge. It just heats the air after it has cooled it off: interrupt that and you have a weak AC or powerful fridge ? I used one in exactly that manner to control fermentation temps back in my home brewing days.

A small mini split would be MUCH more efficient...

This guy was working on a new AC. I don't know how far he's gotten since posting about his project

What is your professional opinion about those:

seems somewhat simple DIY R134A - not super efficiently - but looks like easy to mount to either a roof rack or underneath the vehicle
Looks like a simple solution. Also looks like it is variable speed... I wish it had specifications.

Looks like a simple solution. Also looks like it is variable speed... I wish it had specifications.
There are some specs when you scroll down the Ali Article

Voltage: DC 12V / 24V Current: 50A+-2 / 30A+-2 Rated speed: 2000 / 2600rpm Speed range: 1800rpm - 3000rpm Rated power: 600W / 800w

The shipping cost is almost as much as the unit unfortunately.
even with shipping - it's $800 for the whole system.

You are saving a huge inverter - because it's direct DC. So might make sense in some cases.

And this is only the beginning - when more people ask and order the price will come down.

I ordered this unit. It took about 3 weeks to get here. I should have it installed on my van this weekend. The compressor is actually 12v so I am happy with that. I know of read about some people that got "12v" units that just had a boost converter for a 24v compressor. I am still trying to figure out what modes and such it has. I think it is variable speed.

diy solar

diy solar
Back