diy solar

diy solar

I have $400 Amazon credit and I would like to try out solar. What do I buy 1st?

ComputerDavid

I buy a lot from Amazon. This money could go towards other things, but I want to commit to trying out solar. My thinking is, if I buy a part or two now, then I have to start accumulating the rest this year, either by saving up, or biting the bullet.

I know the "kits" available are probably low quality, but it would allow me to tinker around and learn, and not worry about messing up the panels or equipment.

My first goal is to be able to run my home network on solar, but what about when the panels aren't producing anything (night time, etc)? I have a modem, router, NVR (with monitor and speakers), NAS, 2 switches; as well as my new computer. Right now, my network is plugged into 3 UPS's that would last me an hour if the grid goes down. [UPS 1 - modem, router, switch, NVR, NAS] [UPS 2 - NVR monitor & speaker, 2 printers, switch] [UPS 3 - My PC, echo show, LED lamp]

Do I get the highest watt panels, or do I get an MPPT and Inverter?
I know I will end up needing cables (I can crimp my own lugs), batteries, DC disconnect, fuse, bus bar, panel disconnect, etc.
I know of places that offer good/discounted solar equipment, but I have this credit on Amazon, so I shall use that site for my first purchase(s).

Thanks for your time.

If you search for Solar power kits over on Amazon there are several options within that $400 range. You will not get anything that you will want to stay with (other than the panels) for a long time but it is a way to start learning. My suggestion is be cautious of some of the cheap Solar charge controllers (SCC) claims of being MPPT. There is a lot of cheap ones that are actually PWM.

Oh, do not forget include Aspirin in your solar power needs.

I buy a lot from Amazon. This money could go towards other things, but I want to commit to trying out solar. My thinking is, if I buy a part or two now, then I have to start accumulating the rest this year, either by saving up, or biting the bullet.

Thanks for your time.

Excedrin, Advil, fire extinguishers, lower deductible fire insurance... I joke.

Before you spend one penny of that money, you should use it to buy one of these and spend not a penny more till you know how to use it, and what it's telling you etc.... this will tell you more about what you need and where to spend your money than ANY of us can....

The other thing you NEED to do won't cost you any of that money, spend time in the resource section of this site (including this page: https://diysolarforum.com/resources/system-energy-audit-and-sizing-spread-sheet.12/) and specifically read the numerous Victron Energy resources on their website at this link https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/technical-information, including their book Wiring Unlimited. Every day people ask questions here that are answered in that book, it should be required reading before getting your access approved (@Will Prowse you can use that idea, no charge).

Jen

Last edited:
My first goal is to be able to run my home network on solar, but what about when the panels aren't producing anything (night time, etc)? I have a modem, router, NVR (with monitor and speakers), NAS, 2 switches; as well as my new computer. Right now, my network is plugged into 3 UPS's that would last me an hour if the grid goes down. [UPS 1 - modem, router, switch, NVR, NAS] [UPS 2 - NVR monitor & speaker, 2 printers, switch] [UPS 3 - My PC, echo show, LED lamp]
Have you calculated how many watt hours this requires?

With your need numbers, its pretty easy to figure out how much solar and battery you need to purchase.

Sounds like we might have a similar sized network. My system draws about 200W and 5kWh/day. You will likely need about 1kW of PV to ultimately meet your needs. If you can get two >350W panels from Amazon for under $400 that would be a good starting point. All-in, you could likely do something for about $3,600 in equipment.

(edit) After looking at stuff available on Amazon, the only thing that is a reasonable value is a charge controller. Not really the right source for solar stuff.

With your need numbers, its pretty easy to figure out how much solar and battery you need to purchase.
Smart minds think alike, see my post directly above yours. ?

Had i seen your more thorough post i would not have posted mine! I will blame multitasking...
Don't blame anything, they're both great posts and yours ads much value, we can't drill that need home enough with people, the more mentions about it, the more they'll realize the importance of it.

What is your budget?

Realistically, my budget is $2,000 for the year. I would rather spend time waiting for a good "deal" than spending "now now now."

Jennifer said:
Before you spend one penny of that money, you should use it to buy one of these

Thank you for quick replies. I will get a kill-a-watt asap.

MrSandles said:

No, but am about to. I could do it in stages, starting off with just UPS1 for now. :)

Back