diy solar

diy solar

I Just Bought 30 435w Commercial Solar Panels...Now What

The results of overpanelling! I now have 3 2600w strings on each inverter. 15kW's of solar into 2 - 6kW's Sunny Boy's.

Haven't had to use the generator since. Let's hope it stays that way.

1649095113249.png

Last edited:
A guy was in the neighborhood flying a drone and took some pictures for me. Here are my solar panels installed on my roof. I'm also using the panels from one of my DC Solar trailers facing east. That's another 2.6kw. Maxing out my Sunny Boys.

I haven't needed to use the generator since adding these panels, but it's probably because of La Nina. We've never had this many sunny days in Louisiana that I remember, but I sure appreciate it. However, it's been really hot so the AC's are running night and day. But I have enough solar to run them and charge the batteries. It's really nice not having to worry about conserving electricity. Now if only I had an electric car.

DJI_0598.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW, I have the exact same situation as you have. I also have 2 of the DC Solar trailers. I have a metal building that I have added a living quarters and would like to combine the 2 trailers and power everything.I was going to use the panels from the trailers but I don't think they would be enough. I have found some of the exact same Sun Power SPR E20 435 panels that I want to mount on the roof.
What type of hardware did you use to mount the panels to the roof?

WOW, I have the exact same situation as you have. I also have 2 of the DC Solar trailers. I have a metal building that I have added a living quarters and would like to combine the 2 trailers and power everything.I was going to use the panels from the trailers but I don't think they would be enough. I have found some of the exact same Sun Power SPR E20 435 panels that I want to mount on the roof.
What type of hardware did you use to mount the panels to the roof?
Man, I'm just seeing this post. Once I got everything up and running I guess I didn't have any reason to come back to this forum. Not sure what got me here today.

Did you get your panels mounted? If you still need the info on the hardware I used, I can look it up for you. I do remember I spent about $1200 for the hardware at the time.

I got my system up and running in March of 2022. Below is the results for that year, but the total is to date.

1683432452692.png

Standing metal seam roof.
Unirac has clamps for that, and rails mount on the clamps. Other brands do the same.

Those rails are parallel to one seam, use 2 out of 9 seams. I think they are usually mounted horizontal, could clamp to each seam they cross, and panel oriented portrait. I'm not sure whether that is more secure or not - more seams and more nails holding them down, but dimensions such that forces can't be distributed across all nails either way. More rails can be used for more strength if wind loading requires.

Those large panels must have been a real bear to handle. Original post appears to show just roofing on metal frame, no plywood. How did you get around on the roof to mount them without stepping through unsupported areas? I was thinking nails into plywood, but given the frame structure, I can see how vertical not horizontal rails clamped at frame would be strongest.

Those large panels must have been a real bear to handle. Original post appears to show just roofing on metal frame, no plywood. How did you get around on the roof to mount them without stepping through unsupported areas? I was thinking nails into plywood, but given the frame structure, I can see how vertical not horizontal rails clamped at frame would be strongest.
1683484478385.jpeg
1683484877402.png
1683484887980.png
1683486812717.jpeg

Last edited:
Ironridge is the hardware I used. I think the list below was my final.

1683484731363.png

How are those sun power panels working for you? I got the same ones I haven't got them all out yet I got 28

Attachments

• tempImageCpXolV.png
    tempImageCpXolV.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 4
Back