diy solar

diy solar

i need help connecting growatt batteries

Hi

Just bought and installed a MOD-10KTL3-XH and an APX BMS and 2 batteries.

I am getting the exact same code "Warncode 217(01)"

I have doublechecked everything and even remade the cable from scratch to rule out a break in the first one but still the error persists.

This is how i connected the wires (5-6 is smartmeter 3-4 is RS485 for a seperate Solar Assistant box) (See image at bottom)

I am getting battery SOT in the app and i am getting power consumption of the house so i guess the RS-485 part of the battery must be working, otherwise why would it be able to show SOT.

The strange thing is...When i first started it up, the system was set to 15% minumum SOT, but the batteries were delivered with 40 so it immideately started matching the load like normal, until it reached 15% and then it stopped exporting.

Perfectly normal so i was happy it worked so well, but then came the problems.

Over time (a week or so) the battery SOT would degrade down to about 9% and it would absolutely not charge it from the grid to keep 15%

I tried restarting the whole setup a few times and then suddenly, the thing started up, and charged the battery back up to 15%

But after that...Same deal, will give me warncode and will not charge...Now my battery is again down to 8% and i can not for the life of me get it to start charging.

Is there any risk of damage if i try and swap the "Wake + and wake -"

One thing i should note is...My battery does not seem to be on (No light in the display, not even if "knocking" on the display) I tried the "Start" button but the battery just clicks but shows nothing.

Is it correct that the procedure for startup is

1. Turn on battery switch on the battery pack
2. Turn on grid power
3. Turn the DC switch on the inverter

stik.jpg

I'm struggeling with this error for some time. At first the error came up many times in de log but it seemed the batteries always resumed normal operation after that. Since the start of december strange things happened. Batteries started charging from the grid with about 1kW, even though grid charging was explicitly turned off and charge was no where near stop SOC. Contacted growatt support and they updated the software. No change in behaviour. Checked the the COM port wiring, nothing wrong there. I have been asking if there is a way the inverter could always be ON instead going into standby in the morning and started only after the solarpanels giving enough power. If you have a battery system this is not what you want. With the last tech looking to this it looks like this is the case now since 2 days. Happy about that. Sadly I had the dreaded 217 again yesterday morning around 10 AM, out of the blue. The only way to get the batteries running is to open the breaker on the BDC and close it again after 20 seconds or so. You can see the inverter Green Leaf go from flashing to solid. I also wiggled the DC connectors on the BDC and inverter for the first time since the issue. It's now after 11 AM and still going strong. So maybe it's a good idea to check and clean your DC connectors if you are having this 217. I think I will take the connectors off and clean them with contact cleaner that dissolves any oxidant or dirt. It is possible the unit does self checks on continuity and resistance. Just my 2cts. I will post again if I have more info.

I'm struggeling with this error for some time. At first the error came up many times in de log but it seemed the batteries always resumed normal operation after that. Since the start of december strange things happened. Batteries started charging from the grid with about 1kW, even though grid charging was explicitly turned off and charge was no where near stop SOC. Contacted growatt support and they updated the software. No change in behaviour. Checked the the COM port wiring, nothing wrong there. I have been asking if there is a way the inverter could always be ON instead going into standby in the morning and started only after the solarpanels giving enough power. If you have a battery system this is not what you want. With the last tech looking to this it looks like this is the case now since 2 days. Happy about that. Sadly I had the dreaded 217 again yesterday morning around 10 AM, out of the blue. The only way to get the batteries running is to open the breaker on the BDC and close it again after 20 seconds or so. You can see the inverter Green Leaf go from flashing to solid. I also wiggled the DC connectors on the BDC and inverter for the first time since the issue. It's now after 11 AM and still going strong. So maybe it's a good idea to check and clean your DC connectors if you are having this 217. I think I will take the connectors off and clean them with contact cleaner that dissolves any oxidant or dirt. It is possible the unit does self checks on continuity and resistance. Just my 2cts. I will post again if I have more info.
HI

I have tried to recommended cleaning procedure, taking the plugs off and so on, but sadly this made no difference here.

My problem is a bit different though, my setup never worked from new, when i power on the whole setup the battery turns on for a short while but then clicks and the display goes black. The error 217(01) is there every morning about the time, the inverter starts producing from the solar power.

Soon i will have to just "RMA" the inverter and BMS, but i feel this is really silly if this is something that is fixed with a firmware update. Sadly it seems Growatt is really really slow to respond to requests for firmware updates.

Update for future people that find this thread..

It ended up being the BMS for my APX battery that needed changing.

Growatt had a recall for the batch of BMS, mine came from and i got a new unit free of charge and gave my other BMS back.

Since then, everything has worked as expected.

Update for future people that find this thread..

It ended up being the BMS for my APX battery that needed changing.

Growatt had a recall for the batch of BMS, mine came from and i got a new unit free of charge and gave my other BMS back.

Since then, everything has worked as expected.
When you say you replaced the BMS, are you referring to the Growatt BDC?

HI

I have tried to recommended cleaning procedure, taking the plugs off and so on, but sadly this made no difference here.

My problem is a bit different though, my setup never worked from new, when i power on the whole setup the battery turns on for a short while but then clicks and the display goes black. The error 217(01) is there every morning about the time, the inverter starts producing from the solar power.

Soon i will have to just "RMA" the inverter and BMS, but i feel this is really silly if this is something that is fixed with a firmware update. Sadly it seems Growatt is really really slow to respond to requests for firmware updates.
Hi...have you resolved? I also suffer from 217 errors and cant resolve even with Growatt doing firmware upgrades etc. I think there is a design fault to be honest.

Back