diy solar

diy solar

Request for help for Troubleshooting Solar Assistant & Growatt SPH 6000

yessuz

Hi,

I bought SA software only and I have installed it onto Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. Rpi is powered via inverter's USB port. Because zero has just micro USB, the RS485 is connected via adapter, as seen in picture:
1696602491264.png

Initial setup is more or less OK, until the point where SA cannot connect to inverter.
1696602518803.png

My site is visible on the SA web and locally, but no data comes in and nothing is being fed into the SA...

Inverter: Growatt PSH 6000

I am using RS485 - this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0C2HSDYM1
- Inverter RS485 port is set to VPP
- Tried both configurations for RJ45 to USB cable: Pins 1 & 5 connected to USB adapter as well as using pins 4 & 5. Picture of 1 & 5 attached.

1696602624759.png

My inverter has just RS485 port like in this picture... and I am keen to use it as I would like to have ShineDongle feeding data to Growatt at the same time... in case something happens.

1696602688503.png

Yellow being my rj45 - USB cable.

What am I doing wrong in this case?
Many thanks for any assistance.

P.S. after plugging in the RJ45 and switching the inverter and batteries (3x Pylon US3000C) on, all 3 batteries were showing error (red light/LED). After switcheng them on/off - nothing happens and batteries are not working since. I wonder if this is connected some how?!

Your adapter won't work. (I know it looks just like the one on the Solar Assistant website)
I bought the same one, at first.
RX and TX , both need the ground/ shield return wire.
They can't communicate without it.

This is what I now use, and it works perfectly.

USB to RS485 Converter Industrial Adapter Original FT232RL and SP485EEN Fast Communication Embedded Protection Circuits Resettable Fuse ESD Protection https://a.co/d/7RSdQPq

Tim beat me to it. You need a common return line (ground) for the tax an rx data lines.

hmmm. ok.

but in SA website there is only D+ and D- wires shown. so it is puzzling a bit :/

1696604731544.png

nevertheless - ordered this one then.

I have couple of questions as follow
s:
1) which wire colours in RJ45 are Ground? Is it Pin 2 - Orange?
1696604279963.png
2) when you plug in those single wires off the Cat 6 cable into RS485 usb adapter - does it need to have partially removed shielding (white-blue/white-Orange) at the tips or it is not necessary and it works like crimping RJ45 plug? I am tightening at the screw terminals...
3) if one side of RJ45 plugged in (and it is pain to remove that cover with 6 holes/2 holes) - does the inverter needs to be shut down before playing with cables on not necessary?

sorry, if these questions are stupid, but I want to sort it our as unreliability of Growatt servers/Shine app kills me...

Last edited:
Looks like pin #2
so.. orange. got it.

well, will see it. ordered new one.. what about wires - should I remove shielding (at least a bit) or not?

it still remains issue that my batteries are down for whatever reason. I have contacted the installer (they asked why I have shut down the system... it is my system, I shout it down for whatever reason)..
sent them pics, still waiting answer :/

all cables look like are in tact. unless it is clash for BMS cable with ES485?!

Last edited:
it is interesting all discussion threads I read is that Growatt SPH 6000 needs just 2 A/B (D+/D-) wires and ground is not required... quite confusing.

Update:

As mentioned, Growatt SPH 6000 model DOES NOT require ground.
Apparently I had wrong USB adapter

Changed adapter, wired as per SA instructions (option B troubleshooting section with pins 4 & 5 and all works as intended.

PXL_20231008_134950148.MP.jpgPXL_20231008_134937510.jpgPXL_20231008_134956011.jpgScreenshot_20231008-144653.png

Currently looks a bit janky, but at least ir works. i am just thinking where is the best place to fit it.

So to summarize:

Solar Assistant runs on Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W. It is powered via Growatt's USB port.

RS485 does not need ground wire - Just A and B for data.

Not sure how it works without having a return path.
Maybe it is a reverse polarity signal.
I'm in no way technologically competent.
But, glad that you got it working.

Back