diy solar

diy solar

I think my MPP LV2424 may be defective - Help needed

4 x 200 Watt Monocrystalline Solar Panels 12V - 25-Year Power Output Warranty connected in series.

They get good sun no shade for about 5 hours. If they were connected in parallel I would get more from them.

Also there is the information I added about having AC also being available to feed the battery charging (not just solar although that is my desired configuration). I seems like I'm expecting too much from this system...
With your panels hooked up in series, your charge controller barely has enough voltage to charge the batteries with the panels in parallel you would not be charging the batteries at all because you would not have enough voltage to charge a 24 VDC pack.

You also need to check the angle of your panels to the sun at high noon use a coke can and see how much shadow you have when set flat on the panel the longer the shadow the less power you will be making.

With your panels hooked up in series, your charge controller barely has enough voltage to charge the batteries with the panels in parallel you would not be charging the batteries at all because you would not have enough voltage to charge a 24 VDC pack.

You also need to check the angle of your panels to the sun at high noon use a coke can and see how much shadow you have when set flat on the panel the longer the shadow the less power you will be making.
Yeah, it's like I said previously. The system as it stands is not sized correctly for my application. at $2700 I would expect more. If I'm going to spend the amount I would need to spend for my application, I just don't see it as economical. That's just me. $300 on 100 feet of electrical wire and one circuit breaker... DONE! Shed is on the grid, and the $20 a month it takes to pay the electric company... I can live with that. The person that recommended the system to me said it would be MORE than enough LOL. Silly me for not doing my homework.

I spent much more on my system and at my electricity rates I will never get back my money but I see LARGE rate increases in the future as I see them elsewhere in the country and even those rates are increasing I also wanted an emergency system when the grid goes down due to a storm I live in Hyrricane country and have seen the grid go down for weeks in areas close to me I have already shaved $100 of my electricity bill as I run my AC's off the grid. I will have 60 KWH of battery when I get them together and another 7 KW of PV power bringing me to 14 KW of PV power.

Also, the ones pulling the strings keep talking about the electric grid going down. The system I have I can easily move my wires to send power to the house and shut off the utility breakers to power necessities like frig., fans, crock pot; would need to shut down some of the pond equipment though.

Also, the ones pulling the strings keep talking about the electric grid going down. The system I have I can easily move my wires to send power to the house and shut off the utility breakers to power necessities like frig., fans, crock pot; would need to shut down some of the pond equipment though.
Yeah my generator is set up to do the same. The solar systems work well if you do your due diligence and size them right, and know what you are getting into. This is a shed. A very small application but decent power requirements. I'd need more panels, and more batteries to be properly sized for my needs. As the shed is only a 10x16 , the batteries are eating a corner of it. So really it's proper sizing, and proper understanding of Solar. It should go without saying but... I got caught up in the word of mouth "This system would be more than enough for your needs" LOL...

I feel your frustration. I too was very frustrated at first, feeling like I'd been left to figure it out for myself by the sellers. The so called support is in the form of 'EMAIL', in their case snail-mail. If it was someone depending on the system to power essential items and that was the only source of power, they'd just loose whatever was dependent on the PV system, as communication for the so called 'support' is sadly lacking. I'm still dealing with some issues, settings, currently my panel shows no power coming from PV, but from batteries. I feel there's no use contacting the seller to ask why. I'm still waiting on an answer to the questions I emailed YESTERDAY!

Zack, I’m still willing to help if you want to describe what’s going on
Here is a link to a post I started as I didn't want to hijack this thread. Thank you for any advice you can give me.
zack

Back