diy solar

diy solar

I want to build a 1200w grid tie solar system that I can plug into the side of my home.

rebellyellsolar

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but what solar inverter should I use for this? I want one with a limiter. I want to do this to take the edge off my ac use in the summer. I have been just ever so slightly tipping into a higher price bracket in the heat of the summer and I want to stay below that to avoid a massive bill. I was hoping solar could help offset this, but I rent, and can't install anything anywhere. Well I could but it would have to be desecrate if I did.

It’s called the GTIL. Grid Tie Inverter with Limiter. Search this forum for applications, or the Facebook group.

Or use an off grid AIO that works batteryless and automatically switches to grid if there isn’t enough solar power.

GTIL would be better in marginal conditions/get value with fewer solar panels.

None of these can be plugged into your house without a code violation/real risk of wiring overload in some fault conditions.

None of these can be plugged into your house without a code violation/real risk of wiring overload in some fault conditions.
Therein lies the rub. You can't get a grid tied setup that doesn't have all the approved mounts and shutdowns and code and permit stuff. As soon as the power company sees power coming back in the PUD-SWAT will be knocking down your door. :cry:

In Europe there are approved off the shelf devices to do this. The physics are the same in europe but the output power limit and testing probably makes it safe enough.

In the U.S. those do not exist. Vast majority of code compliant equipment is fed into a breaker. I don’t believe there is a GTIL-style solar generator designed to plug in but has a limiter. Maybe.

As a renter it will be quite challenging to get a lot of panels up & secured in a safe way. Maybe expensive flex panels so if they go flying nobody gets hurt ?

Therein lies the rub. You can't get a grid tied setup that doesn't have all the approved mounts and shutdowns and code and permit stuf.
The rub indeed. Advice? I just want to cut down on my electric bill for my house without committing arson.

Last edited:
Lets assume I want to be a bit naughty and use a euro system. Is there a way I could do this safely and just like, hide it?

In Europe there are approved off the shelf devices to do this. The physics are the same in europe but the output power limit and testing probably makes it safe enough.

In the U.S. those do not exist. Vast majority of code compliant equipment is fed into a breaker. I don’t believe there is a GTIL-style solar generator designed to plug in but has a limiter. Maybe.

As a renter it will be quite challenging to get a lot of panels up & secured in a safe way. Maybe expensive flex panels so if they go flying nobody gets hurt ?
I have a massive backyard. What would you do?

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but what solar inverter should I use for this? I want one with a limiter. I want to do this to take the edge off my ac use in the summer. I have been just ever so slightly tipping into a higher price bracket in the heat of the summer and I want to stay below that to avoid a massive bill. I was hoping solar could help offset this, but I rent, and can't install anything anywhere. Well I could but it would have to be desecrate if I did.
How about a hybrid AC DC mini split? It will runoff the panels DC when the sun is out and your AC from the grid otherwise.

Lets assume I want to be a bit naughty and use a euro system. Is there a way I could do this safely and just like, hide it?
Problem is those European systems are for 230V L-N and your outlets are 120V. And the 240V outlets aren’t configured Line to Neutral (hasn’t stopped that many people).

And that still doesn’t solve the issue of safely installing solar panels.

I have a massive backyard. What would you do?
Dunno Probably DIY ballasted flexible panels. Ballast is a way to use weight to keep panels from going flying.

Engineered ground mounts that meet hold down etc safety standards are not cheap and they have to be chosen based on the local conditions

Flexible panels to simplify the work that the ground mounts need to do, and in a storm just break ($$$ ?) or not hurt anyone much if they get loose. This is not standard and I don’t know how same this is.

Could I do one of these through a window somehow? Thank you for the response, btw.
You could but you would have to make some kind of shim to seal up the window after snaking the lineset (refrigerant pipes) through. You also can’t move this since it’s a sealed refrigerant system. And when you move you have to pay someone to recover the refrigerant, and on next use pay them to recharge it.

Dunno Probably DIY ballasted flexible panels. Ballast is a way to use weight to keep panels from going flying.

Engineered ground mounts that meet hold down etc safety standards are not cheap and they have to be chosen based on the local conditions

Flexible panels to simplify the work that the ground mounts need to do, and in a storm just break ($$$ ?) or not hurt anyone much if they get loose. This is not standard and I don’t know how same this is.
($$$ ?) what a wonderfully universal set of symbols hahaha. Solar panels are cheap here for used ones, and I can get my hands on other things to stop them being thunderstorm shrapnel. Do you have any other thoughts?

The "kludge" method would be making a setup with free standing panels and a battery and inverter setup in a tub, ala Redneck Solar Generator, and run extension cords to the house. The "safer" way would be doing it with an off-the-shelf solar generator like an EcoFlow or Bluetti or the like and running extension cords from there. Anything running from the solar generator and its panels is stuff you're not paying the power company for.

Downside is that it's a pretty big up-front cost and the payback time is somewhere between Forever and Eternity.

($$$ ?) what a wonderfully universal set of symbols hahaha. Solar panels are cheap here for used ones, and I can get my hands on other things to stop them being thunderstorm shrapnel. Do you have any other thoughts?
I would suggest looking for threads for examples of DIY ground mounts, both ballast systems and stuff that’s driven into the ground. Maybe stuff that’s fixed to the side of a structure at an angle.

Another approach is the car camping one… deployable panels you set up and put away all the time. Usually done with smaller panels. That would be like 12 100W panels…

The "kludge" method would be making a setup with free standing panels and a battery and inverter setup in a tub, ala Redneck Solar Generator, and run extension cords to the house. The "safer" way would be doing it with an off-the-shelf solar generator like an EcoFlow or Bluetti or the like and running extension cords from there. Anything running from the solar generator and its panels is stuff you're not paying the power company for.

Downside is that it's a pretty big up-front cost and the payback time is somewhere between Forever and Eternity.
"kludge" How far am I meant to stick my chin out and lower my jaw/tone to saw that. KLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE. hahahaha. UHm, how could I cheaply run a window ac unit off solar? Would that be a thing?

I’m thinking you get a window AC, GTIL, and some ground mount setup.

Then get a big electrical box to build a plug in GTIL. This would be a plug that goes into the wall on one side and receptacles on the other. In the middle you have (in this order)

Plug
GTIL CT sensor
GTIL output
Receptacle

As long as the GTIL works correctly there should not be a overcurrent risk in the house wiring.

Then GTIL is connected to the ground mount via some DC power cord that snakes out through the window along with the window AC.

(The mini split idea is not good at all for a rental)

I’m thinking you get a window AC, GTIL, and some ground mount setup.

Then get a big electrical box to build a plug in GTIL. This would be a plug that goes into the wall on one side and receptacles on the other. In the middle you have (in this order)

Plug
GTIL CT sensor
GTIL output
Receptacle

As long as the GTIL works correctly there should not be a overcurrent risk in the house wiring.

Then GTIL is connected to the ground mount via some DC power cord that snakes out through the window along with the window AC.

(The mini split idea is not good at all for a rental)
I thank you, this makes much more sense. It can dump energy into the ac unit directly via a power strip and feed for the rest, but at peak heat I'll be making peak power to dump into it, fucking brilliant all of you. Thank you, truly.

Back