diy solar

diy solar

I wish Victron made a 2000 watt Phoenix Inverter

saggys

I just returned from the cabin and thought I would run our cabin off of our bunkhouse system to see if a Victron 1200 24 and 100 amp hour NIFE battery system could run our cabin for the afternoon and evening.

Well, it did surprisingly good, ran the well pump which showed 1030 watt on the power meter (Grundfos SQ) and took care of evening lighting and TV/DVD viewing. We consumed about 1250 watt hours during this trial.

The deal breaker was the morning when we fired up the Kerig coffee maker, that showed 1300 watts+ on the meter, the battery bank did sag to 22 volts but the Phoenix shut down! I realize it is only rated for 1000 watts but was hoping for a little better. The Exeltech XP1100 would of grumbled but it could do it at a clamped output.

The reason for trying this was to see if a Victron 1200 48 could be used for our cabin. I love how efficient they are, the broad voltage operating range and the VE direct option for blue tooth monitoring.

Now if they only made a true 2000 watt version of this inverter. I know they have the Mulltiplus 2000va with a built in charger but the price is more than double and I do not need a charger.

Morningstar's new Suresine is nice but they are expensive, also and I am not sure about their blue tooth ability to communicate with my TriStar MPPT 45 SCC.

How about it Victron? A 2000 watt 120 volt Phoenix with VE direct for $750?

I just returned from the cabin and thought I would run our cabin off of our bunkhouse system to see if a Victron 1200 24 and 100 amp hour NIFE battery system could run our cabin for the afternoon and evening.

Well, it did surprisingly good, ran the well pump which showed 1030 watt on the power meter (Grundfos SQ) and took care of evening lighting and TV/DVD viewing. We consumed about 1250 watt hours during this trial.

The deal breaker was the morning when we fired up the Kerig coffee maker, that showed 1300 watts+ on the meter, the battery bank did sag to 22 volts but the Phoenix shut down! I realize it is only rated for 1000 watts but was hoping for a little better. The Exeltech XP1100 would of grumbled but it could do it at a clamped output.

The reason for trying this was to see if a Victron 1200 48 could be used for our cabin. I love how efficient they are, the broad voltage operating range and the VE direct option for blue tooth monitoring.

Now if they only made a true 2000 watt version of this inverter. I know they have the Mulltiplus 2000va with a built in charger but the price is more than double and I do not need a charger.

Morningstar's new Suresine is nice but they are expensive, also and I am not sure about their blue tooth ability to communicate with my TriStar MPPT 45 SCC.

I will by one on day ONE if they do… but it wouldn’t have to be 750…I just bought Phoenix 1200 for 355.00 For aux power on small things..so as to not draw from the multI plus .
a few hundred more watts would be perfect..I would move the 1200 to other chores and stick in the 2000W. That would be perfect..
Hopefully a 2000w would probably be about 500 - 600.00 ..…the BT dongle was 49.00..
all of it works great.
J.

I was stunned to discover they don't make one. It's exactly what I want and need, and I'd have have bought one years ago had it been available. Instead I'm using less-efficient 2000 watt units from other makers amidst a lot of other Victron gear simply because 2000 watt units are what I need. Not oversized 3000 watt units I have to wire, not 1200 watt units I can plug directly into. I need 2000 watt inverters that I can plug directly into and nothing else, and I can't imagine why Victron so steadfastly ignores this huge market. I mean... I don't know this for fact. But it looks to me like that's probably the best-selling configuration there is, in the USA at least.

I was stunned to discover they don't make one. It's exactly what I want and need, and I'd have have bought one years ago had it been available. Instead I'm using less-efficient 2000 watt units from other makers amidst a lot of other Victron gear simply because 2000 watt units are what I need. Not oversized 3000 watt units I have to wire, not 1200 watt units I can plug directly into. I need 2000 watt inverters that I can plug directly into and nothing else, and I can't imagine why Victron so steadfastly ignores this huge market. I mean... I don't know this for fact. But it looks to me like that's probably the best-selling configuration there is, in the USA at least.
ditto.

Potentially it was your battery that couldn't keep up with the Phoenix 1200VA? They have significant surge capability but the battery has to be able to support the load (DC ripple causes them issues?).

Potentially it was your battery that couldn't keep up with the Phoenix 1200VA? They have significant surge capability but the battery has to be able to support the load (DC ripple causes them issues?).
Thanks for a good comment and that is a possible issue in some cases , but I promise that isn’t the problem here…I just need about 400 to 500 more watts on my aux inverter…then my life as a human will be complete….?

Jim…

Thanks for a good comment and that is a possible issue in some cases , but I promise that isn’t the problem here…I just need about 400 to 500 more watts on my aux inverter…then my life as a human will be complete….?

Jim…
It's a shame the phoenixes can't be paralleled...could run one 1200VA then turn on 2nd for the bigger loads. Of course then you are around $700+, and the multiplus 24/2000 is at $1080 and includes a charger plus all the power assist etc goodies.

That is a possibility, but surge is usually brief and sustained overload can last a minute, I think the Phoenix ran out of beans.

Basically have to add the price of the Victron autotransformer and then you have access to all the Europe only 230V models if I'm not mistaken? Bearing in mind the 32A inbalance limit.

Basically have to add the price of the Victron autotransformer and then you have access to all the Europe only 230V models if I'm not mistaken? Bearing in mind the 32A inbalance limit.
Just that minor additional cost on a 2000watt inverter. :ROFLMAO:

It's a shame the phoenixes can't be paralleled...could run one 1200VA then turn on 2nd for the bigger loads. Of course then you are around $700+, and the multiplus 24/2000 is at $1080 and includes a charger plus all the power assist etc goodies.

The multi is a 3000/24 .not 2000….the Phoenix is a 1200/24…they are not connected in anyway except to the battery bank bussbars and chassis ground buss bar…all loads, wires and fusing are separate
..I just want to keep stupid small loads on the Aux inverter (12 watts draw at idle) and let the big unit run the heavier loads…(if it’s even on.!)

PLUS…. I love a great excuse to explain to the wife why We HAVE to buy the new and improved model….. “we just have no choice dear.. “ the police may come arrest me if I don’t.
J.

The auto transformer would add to that incredible zero load current draw, otherwise I would consider it.

Just switch over to 230-240vac. Problem solved. You like European equipment so much, go whole hog!

That is a possibility, but surge is usually brief and sustained overload can last a minute, I think the Phoenix ran out of beans.
Did it beep at all before shutting down? I think for the 12V unit the manual recommends minimum battery of 300Ah, not sure if there is a recommendation for the 24V model.

Did you check any of the logs? It would indicate if it was low voltage that killed it. I still would not be surprised if it isn't because of the battery especially since you aren't using a lithium based battery. The nickel iron battery has much higher internal resistance preventing it from providing a large surge like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong... But, doesn't the Phoenix allow you to set the LVD? Is it possible that the LVD on the Phoenix is set by default higher than your Exceltech inverter. Thus, if the voltage dipped on the battery during the surge it would trigger the LVD. Just a thought?

PS: I'm following because I also wish Victron made a 2K Phoenix :)

I am running the Phoenix on default settings, I think the LVD is 18.6v? I saw 22 volts when it went down, did not check alarm light as it restarted shortly after I unplugged the load.

To be fair the Exeltech was used on a 200ah 48 volt NIFE bank.

I am very aware of the NIFE high internal resistance and it was discharging at about a C/2 rate, I know they prefer more like C/5 rate, so maybe it did LVD?

Any rate would still like a bigger Phoenix.

Back