diy solar

diy solar

I wish Victron made a 2000 watt Phoenix Inverter

The YT review is done by Vlad F K . It is about a 30 minute review. He matches it up with a Go Power inverter.
Tom will your inverter hold the 1100 watt load for 3 minutes?
Thanks for doing the test.

Yeah that Vlad guy, I watched a few of his videos. He seems to hate on Victron for some reason. I don’t trust him, but someone maybe with patience and knowledge can comment on his testing methods.

And yes the inverter ran the vacuum no problem for more than 3 5 minutes. I set a stopwatch but forget to check it when I was done, but I had the vacuum running for about 4-5 minutes. I have good wiring and connections, without that, any inverter will not meet its spec. In this case, my Victron exceeds the specs.

Update: I was able to get the Victron 12/1200 to shutdown due to overload. I ran the vacuum and refrigerator at the same time, ‘twas about 1350VA, the inverter shut down in about 10 seconds. I removed the loads and the inverter automatically came back to power in about 10-15 seconds. But I ran the vacuum for 5+ minutes (fridge was unplugged) and despite the overloaded warning, it continued to run without any issue.

Last edited:
Yeah that Vlad guy, I watched a few of his videos. He seems to hate on Victron for some reason. I don’t trust him, but someone maybe with patience and knowledge can comment on his testing methods.

And yes the inverter ran the vacuum no problem for more than 3 minutes. I set a stopwatch but forget to check it when I was done, but I had the vacuum running for about 4-5 minutes. I have good wiring and connections, without that, any inverter will not meet its spec. In this case, my Victron exceeds the specs.

Update: I was able to get the Victron 12/1200 to shutdown due to overload. I ran the vacuum and refrigerator at the same time, ‘twas about 1350VA, the inverter shut down in about 10 seconds. I removed the loads and the inverter automatically came back to power in about 10-15 seconds. But I ran the vacuum for 5+ minutes and despite the overloaded warning, it continued to run without any issue.
Thank you for doing this, it helps us understand what the Phoenix real world performance is.

They do make a 3000 phoenix 12volt inverter but cost is about the same as a multiplus

Looks like the specs for idle draw is the lowest (eco mode) at 8W, mid at 15W and regular mode at 20W. That's very good for a 3000W inverter.

But I agree with OP, too bad they don't make a 2000W model. Or even 1500W.

The closest I can find is the Morningstar Suresine 1250 watt, 12 watt self consumption with a 3 minute rating at 40c of 1500 watts, but it is double the price of the Victron Phoenix.

The closest I can find is the Morningstar Suresine 1250 watt, 12 watt self consumption with a 3 minute rating at 40c of 1500 watts, but it is double the price of the Victron Phoenix.
Nice thing with the Morningstar SureSines is no fan all passive cooling. Will need to wire into it tho their receptacle versions are limited to 700W and smaller.

Much to ponder, I can make do with my AIO for now till I decide which inverter to purchase.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Quick follow up on the Keurig coffee maker on the Victron 24 1200. 90% SOC 100 ah NIFE battery @ 27.4 volts sags to 22.9 volts with a 1290 watt load according to my Kila-watt meter, 4awg wire 5 feet or less between battery and inverter.

Inverter shuts down after a short time, stays off a bit tries again, restarts and shuts down. The flashing LEDs indicate overload.

Not the most scientific test, but I am pretty positive it is over loaded.

Quick follow up on the Keurig coffee maker on the Victron 24 1200. 90% SOC 100 ah NIFE battery @ 27.4 volts sags to 22.9 volts with a 1290 watt load according to my Kila-watt meter, 4awg wire 5 feet or less between battery and inverter.

Inverter shuts down after a short time, stays off a bit tries again, restarts and shuts down. The flashing LEDs indicate overload.

That's a pretty big voltage sag. Do you know what low voltage your Victron is set to disconnect at (LVD)? Not sure, but 4awg "might" not be thick enough and could contribute to the voltage sag seen by the inverter too.

The first 12/1200 inverter I was sent was severely damaged. But I didn’t know it until I had powered it up. My killawatt meter said that my Dyson vacuum surged to 2400W then settled down to 1850W. And the Victron ran it just fine for about 30 seconds before it started beeping (but continued to run). I shut it off before the inverter shut itself down due to overload.

I returned that one and they sent a brand new one. The new one says that the Dyson operates at 1275VA (1100W on the killawatt), and the Victron Connect app shows an overload warning. But after 5 minutes, it didn’t shut down. If I also added my fridge (99VA), it would shut down in about 15-30 seconds.

So something is strange here, I’m guessing that the damaged Victron I had, had something damaged the prevented it from shutting down as soon as it was designed to.

My voltage sag goes from 13.2v to 12.8v. Without doing the math, I’m guessing this is maybe similar to yours. I have 2AWG cables on my 12/1200 to the bus bar and 1/0AWG from the battery to the bus bar. My BMS is also rated for 200A.

If we go by this chart for lfp you've sagged from 100% to around 5%, perhaps NiFe has a different range?

Whereas Tom with his 12V 200Ah with 200A BMS sagged from 70% to 20%.

I would say the battery could certainly be limiting factor in your experiment.

1670220396655.png

Possibly,
same Keurig on my 200ah NIFE battery in a 50% or so SOC started at 48.7v and sagged to 44v with coffee maker and small 700 watt microwave running simultaneously. Both the battery and the 3500 watt AIO worked fine.
NIFE has higher internal resistance and definetly responds differently than lithium chemistry to charge and discharge rates.

I just joined the club. Ordered a 24/1200 Phoenix inverter and it was delivered today. Going to charge my EV with it as I can limit my EV to 5A charge rate even with level 1 charging.

Did you get the Bluetooth dongle?
No, just the inverter. Is the bluetooth dongle a necessity?

I opened it up to bond the neutral to ground. Boy, there's not much to this unit electronics wise. The primary on the toroid is H-bridge driven with 3 mosfets in each leg. The secondary goes right to the 120V outlet through some filtering. Tried to look at the processor on the board and it's on the underside. Small, low pin count part. Amazing how simple this looks inside.

I opened it up to bond the neutral to ground. Boy, there's not much to this unit electronics wise. The primary on the toroid is H-bridge driven with 3 mosfets in each leg. The secondary goes right to the 120V outlet through some filtering. Tried to look at the processor on the board and it's on the underside. Small, low pin count part. Amazing how simple this looks inside.
Not necessary just gives you info on util and access to some settings etc.

Screenshot_20231118_023200.jpgScreenshot_20231118_023219.jpg

I just joined the club. Ordered a 24/1200 Phoenix inverter and it was delivered today. Going to charge my EV with it as I can limit my EV to 5A charge rate even with level 1 charging.
You won’t regret it. I just love how easy the Victron devices are to use compared to my original Renogy kit. Victron just WORKS. My only complaint is just how dang heavy a 1100W inverter can be, lol.

If you want to adjust the ECO mode settings, you’ll need the dongle. The default settings didn’t work for me for my fridge. The default setting only supplies power for something like less than 1/4 of a second. I needed to up it to something like 2s. I believe currently I have it set for 5s, every minute. Works like a charm. In the cooler months like now, the inverter is using about a 2.5W idle draw most of the time (12/1200 model). So even with mostly cloudy days, my battery level goes down very very slowly each day. I can go weeks like this and the battery will stay around 80-90% in full clouds.

If you want to adjust the ECO mode settings, you’ll need the dongle. The default settings didn’t work for me for my fridge. The default setting only supplies power for something like less than 1/4 of a second. I needed to up it to something like 2s. I believe currently I have it set for 5s, every minute. Works like a charm. In the cooler months like now, the inverter is using about a 2.5W idle draw most of the time (12/1200 model). So even with mostly cloudy days, my battery level goes down very very slowly each day. I can go weeks like this and the battery will stay around 80-90% in full clouds.
I'll pick up a BT module if they ever go on sale. Right now my usage is to charge my EV car. I'll put a BlueSea on/off battery switch in-line with it to power it down when it's not in use.

Planning on giving it a try tomorrow, but need to add a negative buss bar off the Smart Shunt as I've got too many lugs on it right now.

Back