diy solar

diy solar

I wish Victron made a 2000 watt Phoenix Inverter

If I were to move to Multiplus inverter/charger, how are they with a non inverter type generator?

My AIO will not accept anything but an inverter type generator .

Victron inverters also have an adaptive low voltage disconnect which tries to intelligently change the disconnect voltage based on the current amperage load. Do you have that enabled?

edit… I see you don’t have Bluetooth. I think you should get the Bluetooth!

The deal breaker was the morning when we fired up the Kerig coffee maker, that showed 1300 watts+ on the meter, the battery bank did sag to 22 volts but the Phoenix shut down! I realize it is only rated for 1000 watts but was hoping for a little better.

I have the 12v model of the Phoenix 1200VA. I can run a 1850w Dyson p
I just returned from the cabin and thought I would run our cabin off of our bunkhouse system to see if a Victron 1200 24 and 100 amp hour NIFE battery system could run our cabin for the afternoon and evening.

Well, it did surprisingly good, ran the well pump which showed 1030 watt on the power meter (Grundfos SQ) and took care of evening lighting and TV/DVD viewing. We consumed about 1250 watt hours during this trial.

The deal breaker was the morning when we fired up the Kerig coffee maker, that showed 1300 watts+ on the meter, the battery bank did sag to 22 volts but the Phoenix shut down! I realize it is only rated for 1000 watts but was hoping for a little better. The Exeltech XP1100 would of grumbled but it could do it at a clamped output.

The reason for trying this was to see if a Victron 1200 48 could be used for our cabin. I love how efficient they are, the broad voltage operating range and the VE direct option for blue tooth monitoring.

Now if they only made a true 2000 watt version of this inverter. I know they have the Mulltiplus 2000va with a built in charger but the price is more than double and I do not need a charger.

Morningstar's new Suresine is nice but they are expensive, also and I am not sure about their blue tooth ability to communicate with my TriStar MPPT 45 SCC.

How about it Victron? A 2000 watt 120 volt Phoenix with VE direct for $750?

Our Victron Phoenix 12/1200 can run a full size Dyson vacuum, for about 60-90 seconds. The vacuum pulls 2400W startup surge and 1850W after that and the 12/1200 ran it flawlessly. It did start beeping after 30 seconds but continued to run. I turned it off after about 90 seconds, before the inverter went into shut down.

My morning caffeine is made by heating water on the propane stove and steeping my tea.

Perhaps if you preheated the water before pouring it into the Keurig the Phoenix could run long enough to make your coffee but that kinda defeats the purpose of having the convenience of such a device. Do they make a 12v Keurig?

I see you don’t have Bluetooth. I think you should get the Bluetooth

OP, definitely get the Bluetooth! You can then access all sorts of settings. I use these settings to set the eco mode. My 12/1200 idle wattage is now about 4W instead of 12W. It powers anything I have in the trailer, the biggest draw being the fridge when the compressor starts up at 800W.

One idea is to keep the Phoenix for most of your uses. It’s very efficient and even on non eco mode it has a low idle draw. Then add a 1500-2000W cheap inverter that you only turn on when you need to run higher loads like the Keurig, keeping it off most of the time to eliminate the massive waste of battery due to their much higher idle draw. Giandel makes a decent one:

GIANDEL Pure Sine Wave Power Inverter 1500 Watt Upgraded with FCC Approval Converts DC 12V to AC 120V with LCD Display 3xAC Outlets & Remote Controller 2 USB Ports for RVs Trucks Boats and Emergency https://a.co/d/gAUN14h

Another cool feature why I like Victron so much: you can get the Victron app, and within the app it has demonstration modes for all of their devices, allowing you to play around with all of the data and settings. Even if you don’t own the device yet!

I own a 24 1200 VE direct model. I use that with the 100ah battery for our bunkhouse used for hunting overflow and guests.
I was testing to see if it could support our main cabin loads. I would have to buy a 48 volt version to have it support our main cabin loads and stop using our AIO 3500 watt that has a 38 watt idle.
Not convinced it can do it, 1000 watts is its continuous rating.

If it could do 1500 watts for 3 minutes I would probably buy one and try it.

If it could do 1500 watts for 3 minutes I would probably buy one and try it.
Tomthumb62 mentioned he was running his Dyson at 1800W for 90 seconds and he ended up turning it off, the 12/1200 was still going. That's using a 12V 200Ah powerurus LFP battery.

Tomthumb62 mentioned he was running his Dyson at 1800W for 90 seconds and he ended up turning it off, the 12/1200 was still going. That's using a 12V 200Ah powerurus LFP battery.

Good memory, Brucey! Yes, I was using a Lifepo4 battery with a 200A BMS. 1800W/12/0.91=164A. I didn't have a clamp meter on it to test actual amps, but that is the theory of it. Surge of 2400/12/0.91=219A but I don't recall the surge limit of the Powerurus 200Ah battery, but obviously it wasn't long enough to trip the BMS.

Good memory, Brucey! Yes, I was using a Lifepo4 battery with a 200A BMS. 1800W/12/0.91=164A. I didn't have a clamp meter on it to test actual amps, but that is the theory of it. Surge of 2400/12/0.91=219A but I don't recall the surge limit of the Powerurus 200Ah battery, but obviously it wasn't long enough to trip the BMS.
Yeah I don't know a lot about NiFe batteries but my understanding is they don't have the output amperage capabilities of a similar sized LFP battery due to the higher resistance.

That would be correct Brucey, but its what I have to work with.
It would be nice if a load test could be performed on a 1200.
There is a YT video of a guy testing his with not the best results, barely able to do 1000 watts.

That would be correct Brucey, but its what I have to work with.
It would be nice if a load test could be performed on a 1200.
There is a YT video of a guy testing his with not the best results, barely able to do 1000 watts.
Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't dissing your system. Pretty cool tech really. I think Tom is travelling now but maybe he can benchmark his when he gets home. The Victrons have a much larger fuse than the rated continuous wattage would indicate, which makes sense if they can exceed that for quite a while.

Oh don't get me wrong I wasn't dissing your system. Pretty cool tech really. I think Tom is travelling now but maybe he can benchmark his when he gets home. The Victrons have a much larger fuse than the rated continuous wattage would indicate, which makes sense if they can exceed that for quite a while.

I’m home now. Perhaps soon I can make a video showing how much the 12/1200 can do. It’s not a wimp. If someone could barely do 1000W, then they had likely wiring problems, too thin, poor crimps, etc.

I’m home now. Perhaps soon I can make a video showing how much the 12/1200 can do. It’s not a wimp. If someone could barely do 1000W, then they had likely wiring problems, too thin, poor crimps, etc.

Edit: even with the overload warning, it ran the vacuum for several minutes. The inverter never shut down, it just kept on working. Eventually the overload warning disappeared.

Original:
Just tested it on the Dyson vacuum. I got different results this time. First time was with a different 12/1200 unit, one that was damaged.

Watt meter didn’t catch surge power, but continuous was 1275VA or about 1100W.

Clamp meter (a cheap one) says peak amps were 213-238A, which times 12.8V nominal equals 2700-3000W. That doesn’t quite sound right but if so then that’s rather impressive. Constant draw is consistent with the watt meter.

IMG_0564.png

IMG_0560.png

IMG_0566.png

Last edited:
Following as I’m in need of something that can start my 1990’s refrigerator. Running watts is ~110W, but brings my inverter gas generators to their knees if I try to start it with the generators in eco mode.

Following as I’m in need of something that can start my 1990’s refrigerator. Running watts is ~110W, but brings my inverter gas generators to their knees if I try to start it with the generators in eco mode.
Eco mode on a gas generator saves fuel by reducing its output. Eco mode on a Victron inverter saves battery not by reducing output, but by going to sleep and sensing when a load is required and will wake up to deliver full power.

I have mine set to sense every 49s, deliver power for 5s and if no load is present, it’ll go asleep again for another 49s, etc.

The YT review is done by Vlad F K . It is about a 30 minute review. He matches it up with a Go Power inverter.
Tom will your inverter hold the 1100 watt load for 3 minutes?
Thanks for doing the test.

I always watch the powerurus pricing hoping it will drop, but today saw they now have heated versions for not too much more than their regular:

Screenshot_20230925_210956_Chrome.jpg

Back