diy solar

diy solar

If I removed my batteries and tried to run the generator, would my Schneider still pass-thru the power?

Old_Skewler

Solar Enthusiast
I am trying to understand whether I could still use generator power if I remove the 48V batteries from the site and the inverter is off. The generator power is wired thru the Inverter. Would the inverter still "wake-up" and pass-thru the generator power, even if no batteries are connected to the inverter?

This is for a Schneider 4048SW inverter.

If the answer depends on the inverter features, which feature would allow this to happen, so I could look it up under the specs of the generator?

I believe the SW shares the same type of hardware architecture as the XW which requires batteries to power the PCB and control electronics without which the transfer switch will not close and there will be no pass-thru power.

If the system is up and running with grid or gen input, the battery can be momentarily disconnected and the inverter will self power but I'm not sure this would be a stable configuration. The inverter, however, will not wake up without a battery once its off.

Re-reading my post I realized my request for answer would benefit from me adding additional information: I intend to take the batteries back to shore ground for balancing purposes and currently the gas generator is only connected directly to the inverter - no transfer switch of any kind...

If I manually start the generator, will the inverter "wake up" and pass-thru power, allowing me to have power in the cabin?

I believe the SW shares the same type of hardware architecture as the XW which requires batteries to power the PCB and control electronics without which the transfer switch will not close and there will be no pass-thru power.

If the system is up and running with grid or gen input, the battery can be momentarily disconnected and the inverter will self power but I'm not sure this would be a stable configuration. The inverter, however, will not wake up without a battery.
Very clear. Thank you. #fml

Would be risky to try? Could I try running the generator when batteries are removed to see if power goes-thru? I don't see it being risky but maybe it is.

Sounds like a boat, in a marina?
Is there a repair shop on site? Would they lend you 4 crapped out 12v batteries to hook up on series and keep the SW awake?

I disconnected the battery on my already running XW and ran it for a couple days, passing grid current through. It only lasted a couple days because the XW stopped powering itself or maybe there was a grid hiccup. Either way, for the XW it isn't a stable or supported mode of operation.

No, it will not wake itself up on AC alone.

Back