diy solar

diy solar

Incinerating toilets

berksrunner

Anyone know why we aren't seeing more incinerating toilets in vans and RV's, now that low cost lithium is putting the requisite power system within reach for many more builders? The incinolet has come down in price also -- I believe it was originally $4K, now $2K. I'm definitely installing it in my van at some point (currently have composting, but once I go full time, it will be so nice to just need to worry about disposing of some ash!!)

Anyone know why we aren't seeing more incinerating toilets in vans and RV's, now that low cost lithium is putting the requisite power system within reach for many more builders?
My guess would be cost compared the cost of black water system and pumping out. Lithium is just a storage mechanism. You still have to generate or acquire the energy to charge them. If you hookup to a receptacle and water, how much more difficult is another hose?

Both the 120 and 240 volt units require a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
20 * .8 * 120 = 1920 watts.
20 * .8 * 240 = 3840 watts.
The numbers could be even higher because its not continuous use.

Also the liners make for vendor lock in.

Last edited:
My system can handle it easy, even without the battery upgrade, since I have EV charging and a 3000VA victron multiplus.

Do you know how gross black tanks are? Plus, I spend nearly 100% of time boondocking, away from campgrounds. An incinerating system would be a total game changer -- no separate urine container to empty (my wife pees ALOT -- we usually need to dump our composting toilet's urine container daily when living out of the van) plus obviously never needing to worry about the solids.

An incinerating system would be a total game changer
For you perhaps, but not everyone has has your same aversion to black water. If it takes a 3000VA inverter that may be another explanation. I am not arguing the benefits. The original question was, why we are not seeing more incinerating toilets. Perhaps we are just at the early stage of the adoption curve?
Or, as @Steve_S noted, the product may have some adoption issues by some users.

Last edited:
A word on these Incolets.
I looked into them and there are neighbours out here who have or had them. None like them. Only one I know of still in service is Grid Connected because it is a Power PIG ! One fellow even tried to sell me his for $500 was only 2 months old, the thing kept wiping out his batteries (not a small bank either). Let me say that he was quite "colouful" about it and leave that there.

There are several composting and/or incinerating toilet systems out there, some better than others obviously. Take your time and do your research and talk to folks who own a model you may be interested in BEFORE plunking down a penny. These things have zilch resale value compared to what they cost. The above one, the guy had been advertising it for almost a year, continually dropping price and getting little interest.

Fortunately, I am an off-grid cabineer with land, so I chose to go with a Sawdust Dry Composter toilet with urine diversion.
We-Pee Urine Diverter: We Pee | (we-pee.com) which diverts urine to the Grey Water system and prevents making of "Black Water".
Waterless P-Trap: Hepvo Waterless Valve which provides low clearance access and is freeze proof and never allows return vapours.
* I used the Hepvo's for the Compost Toilet & Shower/Tub and they are really great !

A word on these Incolets.
I looked into them and there are neighbours out here who have or had them. None like them. Only one I know of still in service is Grid Connected because it is a Power PIG ! One fellow even tried to sell me his for $500 was only 2 months old, the thing kept wiping out his batteries (not a small bank either). Let me say that he was quite "colouful" about it and leave that there.

There are several composting and/or incinerating toilet systems out there, some better than others obviously. Take your time and do your research and talk to folks who own a model you may be interested in BEFORE plunking down a penny. These things have zilch resale value compared to what they cost. The above one, the guy had been advertising it for almost a year, continually dropping price and getting little interest.

Fortunately, I am an off-grid cabineer with land, so I chose to go with a Sawdust Dry Composter toilet with urine diversion.
We-Pee Urine Diverter: We Pee | (we-pee.com) which diverts urine to the Grey Water system and prevents making of "Black Water".
Waterless P-Trap: Hepvo Waterless Valve which provides low clearance access and is freeze proof and never allows return vapours.
* I used the Hepvo's for the Compost Toilet & Shower/Tub and they are really great !
Excellent info!! Thank you!!

I'm not going to say something stupid like, "I love my black water tank", but I have had zero problems with mine. I toss in a treatment packet at the beginning of each boondocking session. When I dump the tank, it gets flushed three times with the San-T-Flush port. I do leave the tank open for a week to allow it to dry.

I don't get any nasty smells, no blockages, no backups. It's worked even with subzero temperatures. I'm quite the hot shit, you know. :)

Back