diy solar

diy solar

Interesting HV 100W Solar Panel- Important! Can be only connected in parallel!

Pi Curio

Rim Tim Tagi Dim
Delete Please. The thread was based on the wrong information that these panels can be connected in series.

Original post video;

Last edited:
With the new information that the panel is designed for connection in parallel only, it defeats the purpose of this thread about HV 100W solar panel potential for a 48V solar power systems.

Last edited:
Here is a link to the panels in question. Click on the i icon next to the "Hardware" label to see that the panels were designed for use in parallel.

What's the difference here? I'm not buying magic marketing "shade proof"

For $339 those are crazy expensive 100 watt panels. You can get brand new 480 watt panels for that money.

What's the difference here? I'm not buying magic marketing "shade proof"

For $339 those are crazy expensive 100 watt panels. You can get brand new 480 watt panels for that money.
Yea, pure marketing as usual. The price is ludicrous, no doubt about it but there's few things that panel has going for itself. Probably the only HV 100W half-cut panel design. The price will probably go down imo, sooner than later.

Though, for a moment, what I've found very interesting was the HV panel's Voc, Vmp, and Isc.

Specifically,
If that panel was designed to be connected in series as well(Which it is not!), starting as small as within a 3x3ft/1x1Meter footprint where you could have a 48V compatible array. And on top of that, a lot of potential for all sorts of array configurations for smaller, perhaps portable systems. Again, the panel can not be connected in series with another panel so there's that.

However, this panel can still serve the purpose for smaller 12V/24V systems by having multiple in parallel. But think there was a mention that there's a limit to how many in parallel as well.

With all this being said, it gets me thinking,
If someone would produce such HV 100W half-cut panel that could be connected in series as well as in parallel, with a lower Voc of say 42V ish and a tad bit higher Isc respectively so it fits the specs of many SCCs on the market, and priced it appropriately, I believe such panel would be the top seller one.

Would introduce an unprecedented amount of options to customers with smaller solar power systems, yet easily upscaled to more serious solar power figures. Almost revolutionary so to speak.

Anyhow, If some manufacturer comes across this thread, do it! ;)

Last edited:
The big losses from partial shading are a huge problem .... especially for mobile applications where it is often impossible or undesirable to park to avoid shading.

I'm just glad to see technology addressing that problem. The video in the first post clearly shows that the technology works.

It's just a panel with a built-in optimizer.
Which explains the crazy high price. (Almost)
Not a good one. Because it can only be paralleled.

The big losses from partial shading are a huge problem .... especially for mobile applications where it is often impossible or undesirable to park to avoid shading.

I'm just glad to see technology addressing that problem. The video in the first post clearly shows that the technology works.
I miss understood their "shade proof" claims. I thought they were saying it would do the same output in partial shade.
The marketing team is still over promising and the price is still crazy, but it could be a good development.

It's just a panel with a built-in optimizer.
Which explains the crazy high price. (Almost)
Not a good one. Because it can only be paralleled.
I wonder if they run each half cut cell back to the control box where the circuitry bypasses shaded cells and puts the good cells in series. I think an optimizer would still do about the same as the single standard panel as an optimizer's function is to maximize production for the entire string by allowing the same current through each panel.

Back