diy solar

diy solar

Introduction and advice on solar charged go kart

Had our race today, finished 4th and not unhappy about it.

Did have a few problems that we can work out with more time and testing but I have a question about battery capacity monitors. The Renogy SCC battery gauge is useless as it bases its SOC off of voltage and as soon as the kart stops and begins to charge with no draw on battery, it reads 100%.

Bought a smaller shunt based ammeter that is supposed to give us SOC reading also but it only gives us info while kart is running. I would like to find something that will give us real time SOC reading while it is charging. Someone has to make this
I bought the AiLi Battery Monitor from Amazon for $44
But you do have to calibrate the capacity by draining the battery 100% then fully recharge it. You also inter the calculated battery capacity.

The Renogy you have may have to be calibrated the same way.

Attachments

• 20220321_152955.jpg
    20220321_152955.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220422_171324.jpg
    20220422_171324.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 0
I bought the AiLi Battery Monitor from Amazon for $44
But you do have to calibrate the capacity by draining the battery 100% then fully recharge it. You also inter the calculated battery capacity.

The Renogy you have may have to be calibrated the same way.
That's pretty much what we have, same exact monitor with different name on it. I guess we'll have to play with it a bit more to use all of its features.

Congratulations on 4th place!!!
Thanks, kids had fun with it

Would this give us real time SOC while battery is recharging??

If so, that sounds like our monitor
I personally don't have one. So you'll have to research it. From what I've seen on the RV forums people like it. It's connects via Bluetooth to your phone.

I currently have the shunt wired between the speed controller and the motor on this. Would it be better to place it between the battery and a bus bar connecting SCC and Speed controller to batteries??

Back