diy solar

diy solar

Inverter/charger and solar controller hookup

bat6mm

Do I charge batteries from both the inverter/charger and the solar controller? How do I program the charge voltages on both machines?

Do I charge batteries from both the inverter/charger and the solar controller(1)? How do I program the charge voltages on both machines(2)?

(1) You can.
(2) By following the instructions in the device manual as all manufacturers are different.

An inverter/charger needs another source, typically grid power or a generator to charge the battery bank.

The inverter/charger manual does not address this. I want the solar power to take preference to charging the batteries and have the utility power charge when solar cannot. I think I will hook both to batteries and see how it works? Any advise?

My inverter is connected to batteries, 110v grid input and ac output.

I believe the simplest option is to use all-in-one (solar, inverter, AC charger and transfer switch) device. Like the the ones Will discussed here.

It should be possible to do the same thing using a Victron system (they can talk to each other), but I am have not investigated your particular use case. I would talk to a reputable Victron dealer and ask them that question. This seems like something they would already have worked out.

I see you already have an inverter, so that does limit your options (unless you are willing to replace it). What inverter/charger do you currently have. If you want help you have to give us the details or else we are all just blue skying which doesn't do you much good.

I wish I had got a all in one system. It would have been much simpler. My inverter/charger is a Ampinut model FT 24v3000 sine wave 24v dc 110v ac with charger. I got this inverter/charger because the idle power draw is much less than the all in one system in my price range.

Don't have the manual, but the product description on Amazon says:

5 working modes:

1. AC Input Priority--- Preferential use of municipal electricity, (household 110V AC) municipal power outage to battery power supply, municipal power to return to municipal power supply!

2. Battery priority mode----Priority should be given to battery power supply. After low voltage protection, the battery will be transferred to market power supply. When the battery is full, the battery will be transferred back to battery power.

3. ECO Mode---Load < 10% automatic sleep and stop output, load > 10% automatic boot back to normal inversion.

4. Generator Mode---Use an unstable AC voltage (such as an alternator) through the inverter's AVR regulator to make the output voltage more stable!

5. Unattended Mode---When the battery is low voltage, the inverter goes into standby state(Power saving state). When the battery restores the voltage value set by yourself (such as solar charging), the inverter will restore the normal output of the inverter, and realize unattended full automatic operation!

I presume the manual describes how to set the operating mode. The closest to your desired intent appears to be mode 2.

Thanks for your help. I think my best way to do this is to turn off the inverter charger and let the two solar controllers do all the battery charging. I will route the inverter output to a automatic transfer switch which when the battery power is low the ATS would switch the load to the utility power. When the battery is charged, the ATS would switch back to inverter power. Anyone see if this is ok?

It sounds to me like you're doing exactly what mode 2 does, but in a more complex way, except in your case, you are going to temporarily interrupt power service unless the ATS is designed to do it in milliseconds.

I recommend you re-read the manual, since I presume it must include at least what is available on the Amazon product page and see if mode 2 accomplishes what you desire. If solar is available, then you are keeping your batteries charged with solar. The charger isn't used until the battery drops below the threshold.

It sounds to me like you're doing exactly what mode 2 does, but in a more complex way, except in your case, you are going to temporarily interrupt power service unless the ATS is designed to do it in milliseconds.

I recommend you re-read the manual, since I presume it must include at least what is available on the Amazon product page and see if mode 2 accomplishes what you desire. If solar is available, then you are keeping your batteries charged with solar. The charger isn't used until the battery drops below the threshold.
Sounds like he might be trying to minimize his utility power bill.

With batteries you want to minimize when you draw power from the grid (never charge batteries from the grid during peak time) and when you use your battery power (use as much battery power as possible during peak time). You also need to examine your power companies plans and see if you need to switch plan to maximize the benefit of what you are doing.

Exactly why I'm encouraging him to use mode 2 on his inverter. It prohibits grid charging until the battery is low volts.

Exactly why I'm encouraging him to use mode 2 on his inverter. It prohibits grid charging until the battery is low volts.
I am referring to only charging at certain time of day. Or rather not charging during the most expensive time.

Sounds like an intelligent controller will be required. You could do it with automated timers like are used for sprinkler systems.

I am lucky because I get my electricity from from an electrical co-OP which has no peak hours and at 9 cents per kwhr. I am doing a solar system for outages which because of all the trees, outages come at times and I have a cpap machine I need to power durning outages for it and convenience for other things. I watched Will's video's and became intrested in solar and I designed my system from this website on DIY Solar Blueprints for the 4000w system. My only wish is that I had used a all-in-one design. Much simpler. Thanks for all your help.

If you set it for mode 2 and connect both solar charging and grid, it will use it like an off grid system using battery power and solar charging UNTIL the battery voltage drops to the grid charge threshold, and then it will charge with grid until full.

If you set it for mode 2 and connect both solar charging and grid, it will use it like an off grid system using battery power and solar charging UNTIL the battery voltage drops to the grid charge threshold, and then it will charge with grid until full.
That sounds like good advice.

Back