diy solar

diy solar

Inverter/Charger Recommendations

Larman

When purchasing a inverter/charger must it be specifically rated for marine use. My ultimate goal is to have a complete off grid solution so I do not have to run the generator.

Last edited:
Victron seems to be a common choice for yachts.

That is what Paul Kennedy recommends. He is a yacht electrical designer/installer. He is also a Victron dealer.

www.pkys.com

I highly recommend you buy from somebody who will support you. Victron makes excellent quality gear, but their documentation is written for professionals, not DIYers.

Last edited:
I have a pair of Victron Multiplus units. They are really designed and constructed well. Conformal coating on the PCB's goes a long way to keeping things happy in a marine application.

On top of that, they have a good ecosystem that networks together for easy configuration and monitoring.

If you do not have shore power then you may be able to use an inverter that is not Marine Rated (UL458), this is not something that I would be able to comment on definitively.

If you do have a shore power connection then YES it MUST be a "marine/mobile" inverter.

UL458-listed inverters have an internal automatic neutral-to-ground switching relay. This relay allows for neutral to ground bonding to occur when the inverter is in off-grid DC to AC mode, it also separates neutral from ground at the utility power service if it is connected to a utility hookup. It does so because, in mobile power systems, neutral is bonded with ground.

ABYC E11.17: ..."The shore grounding (green) conductor is connected, [...] from the shore power inlet to [...] to all non-current carrying parts of the boat’s AC electrical system, including the engine negative terminal or its bus."

ABYC:
31.6.5.3 Inverter (inverter/charger) integral switching shall switch:
31.6.5.3.1 all ungrounded conductors, and
31.6.5.3.2 the grounded (neutral) conductor from ground

Last edited:
The Samlex EVO Series of Inverter Charger is actually originally designed for Marine & Heavy Mobile use and comply with all UL,CSA,ETL specs and more. They are very efficient, have single AC (shore power) or Dual AC (Grid/Shore & Genset) inputs, as well as support for up to 50A Solar Charge Controller input as well.

These are Tier-1 Product and therefore the price reflects this but you do get what you pay for and IMO, in a Marine Situation, I feel is quite important.

Samlex America -- Products

UL458-listed inverters have an internal automatic neutral-to-ground switching relay.
I think AIMS sells some inverters that are not UL listed but have the switching relay installed in them.

Back