diy solar

diy solar

Inverter DC input minimum voltage too hight for battery pack

crozen

Hi guys.

I have a very interesting second-hand solar panel kit for cheap. I have some questions.
I want to store the energy in my battery pack 12v but i can make it to 24v. The big problem is that the inverter has a minimum DC input of 100v (220v nominal).
The kit is huge : 24 panels of 235W each. The inverter is 6000W. Current voltage here 220v.
Here is the datasheet of the inverter : http://www.cdsbouw.nl/wp-content/uploads/Solarmax-S-serie.pdf

What is the best and cheapest solution to do ?
Thnx.

I dont see battery Voltage on the spec sheet. Do I miss something?

I think that is your minimum pv voltage.
Yes, but the inverter should be connected to my battery pack, right ? So this 100V DC input should be for the battery pack...
Or am i wrong ?

Yes, but the inverter should be connected to my battery pack, right ? So this 100V DC input should be for the battery pack...
Or am i wrong ?

Unfortunately, you cannot connect a DC battery pack to the SolarMax. This is a pure AC grid tied inverter. It does not produce energy unless it is connected to mains AC power in the specified voltage and frequency range. It cannot produce AC from batteries. Its DC input is designed solely to attach a single string of solar panels. Any energy storage system would have to be coupled to the AC side. To use a DC battery pack with the kit you mentioned, you may be able to keep the panels, but you have to get rid of the SolarMax and instead look at a suitable type inverter/charger.

Short answer: Don't get this kit.

Unfortunately, you cannot connect a DC battery pack to the SolarMax. This is a pure AC grid tied inverter. It does not produce energy unless it is connected to mains AC power in the specified voltage and frequency range. It cannot produce AC from batteries. Its DC input is designed solely to attach a single string of solar panels. Any energy storage system would have to be coupled to the AC side. To use a DC battery pack with the kit you mentioned, you may be able to keep the panels, but you have to get rid of the SolarMax and instead look at a suitable type inverter/charger.

Short answer: Don't get this kit.
Well, i don't want to make an off grid but i was wondering if there is a way where i can use that inverter and also store energy on the batteries and powering the house from the batteries too.

Well, i don't want to make an off grid but i was wondering if there is a way where i can use that inverter and also store energy on the batteries and powering the house from the batteries too.

No, you cannot do this with that inverter. I have mentioned the precise reason why this cannot work in my first reply. You can exclusively use the SolarMax inverter to collect power from the panels and feed it into your home AC distribution. To charge batteries, you would need an AC battery charger. To power the house from the batteries, you would need to add another inverter to them.

Short answer (again): Do not get this kit.

Back