diy solar

diy solar

Inverter installation in a Lance 1172

Pauhar1

I have already installed three 100ah batteries to the battery bank to bring the total to 500 ah. I now need to install the inverter. My questions are:
1. Does anyone know how Lance factory wires their inverters.
2. Is there a way to wire the inverter o the loads and bypass the converter so I don’t have that “current loop”
I have purchased a transfer switch and a monitor and intend to wire the inverter and generator into the transfer switch then come out of this switch to the factory shore power/generator transfer switch like it is now. That way the generator will disconnect the inverter and shore power will disconnect the generator.

Any thoughts from the gallery would be appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Not knowing what the mfg did on yours, this is what I did with my camper.

Generally, I would look for an inverter/charger with built in transfer switch, use the shore power cord for the AC input. Then you can either plug it into the power pole or the generator all the same. I assume you dont have an "onboard" generator being a truck camper so either way you are plugging the cord into something.

The factory installed converter should be disconnected completely. Most are crap single voltage power supply that will creep up into the 15V range if left on long enough. Lance is usually good quality camper but I have yet to see any camper with decent wiring or components.

When plugged into shore power or generator, the inverter senses input and makes the transfer switch, thus passing through AC loads while charging batteries. It happens fast enough to not interrupt anything.

I used an Aims 3000 LF inverter charger and a pair of golf cart batteries.

I'm attempting to add an inverter to our Lance 1985 TT (30 amp). For sure, don't buy Renogy battery inverters. They are incompatible with standard RV power panels, and trying to do that has cost me lots of time and money. You will have issues with any inverter that is ground-neutral bonded. @seneysolar in right about going with an inverter charger. I'm still trying to find one that has a remote panel, and will fit in the compartment by the batteries with enough space for the cooling fans to work properly. The Sungold 3000 watt looked promising, but it's too long. We had an AIMS 2500 watt in our previous Lance, but it generated a lot of heat.

Back