diy solar

diy solar

Inverter recommendations

I fully agree, one frustration I have with many of the solar hobbyist / DIY, vanlife, rv electrical youtube channels (including some of my favorite channels) is they really gloss over, ignore, and/or sidestep any discussion or demonstration of safety and best practices without any disclaimer or acknowledgement that they are doing so. This is why I really like the marine resources, there is much more of a culture and respect for safety and properly thought through system design, and as you said thinking through the 'what-if scenarios' and risk assessment. The stakes are higher so I suppose that makes sense.

It is my understanding that this isn't really a problem that needs solving. If I understand correctly what you are worried about (1) the BMS (or some other protection device) disconnecting the house batteries, while (2) the solar charge controller is still connected to the PV array. It is my understanding that this (while once thought to be a potential problem) is not an issue. At least with Victron and I believe Epever charge controllers. They do not need 'dump load' in the same way that a wind turbine would. See here. This has been confirmed by Victron. What charge controller are you using? Am I correctly understanding your question?

edit: I believe this is the particular Nordkyn article you are referencing right? I forgot how much was covered by this series, I think its time for a reread, There is soooo much info packed in this series and the marinehowto article, I'm lucky to retain 10% per read through.
Yes, that was the article and so now I understand no dump needed for SCC but something to protect loads against potential spike and I did move over and read the whole thread, thank you. Going to finish the Nord. series, contemplate my design and ask more dumb questions ... but over on the appropriate thread. Thanks, as always for your help.

Reactions: Dzl
Yes, that was the article and so now I understand no dump needed for SCC but something to protect loads against potential spike and I did move over and read the whole thread, thank you. Going to finish the Nord. series, contemplate my design and ask more dumb questions ... but over on the appropriate thread. Thanks, as always for your help.

Sounds good (y) have you selected a charge controller yet?

I have the Kisae DMT 1250, seemed like a way to save a lot of money on a B2B charger in addition to the Mppt....I pick up my panels across the border on Thursday, 2-200 watt Rich Solar and also a power supply so I can balance and install the fortune cells.

Reactions: Dzl

diy solar

diy solar
Back