diy solar

diy solar

Inverter remote control extension cable help

alwaysared

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to help my mate to extend the cable on his remote control for his newly aquired Renogy 2000w inverter, my research would leave me to believe that it is hardwired on the switch end and has a RJ12 plug on the end that plugs into the inverter, my question is can I just make up a cable with a RJ12 plug on each end then use a RJ12 coupler to connect to the existing cable? If so can anyone tell me if the plugs are just pin to pin ie pin 1 to pin 1 etc on the plugs? As a retired telephone engineer I have the plugs, cable and crimping tool etc to do the job but just need some reassurance on the pin outs. Any help will be appreciated (y)

Regards,
Del

Okay, he's just sent me a photo and it could well be RJ45 as it has 8 wires rather than the six found on a RJ12?

Renogy_Cable.jpg

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
That's an ethernet cable. All you need to do is purchase the appropriate length cable on Amazon.

Just get the length cable you want and and go from the inverter to the switch. You do not need to extend the existing cable.

Okay, he's just sent me a photo and it could well be RJ45 as it has 8 wires rather than the six found on a RJ12?

View attachment 119562

Regards,
Del
Are both ends have the same matching color/pin assignment?
It is RJ45 but the wire colors do not match the ETHERNET wiring.

Are both ends have the same matching color/pin assignment?
It is RJ45 but the wire colors do not match the ETHERNET wiring.
It doesn't matter.

All that matters is that the pins match on the ends.

In other words if pin 1 uses a blue wire instead of say a green wire, it doesn't matter so long as it's in the same cavity on both ends and it will be unless the cable is put together wrong.

Thank you for all the replies, it's hardwired onto the remote switch. I'm going over this afternoon armed with a Cat5 patch lead and a RJ45 to RJ45 coupler, I'll let you know how I get on (y)

Regards,
Del

Thank you for all the replies, it's hardwired onto the remote switch. I'm going over this afternoon armed with a Cat5 patch lead and a RJ45 to RJ45 coupler, I'll let you know how I get on (y)

Regards,
Del

Oh gotcha. Yeah so the female-female coupler and cable are all you need.

Okay I went round and it is RJ45 and a standard Cat5 cable with the RJ45 to RJ45 coupler worked just fine, so once again thank you to everyone's advice and help (y)

Regards,
Del

Okay I went round and it is RJ45 and a standard Cat5 cable with the RJ45 to RJ45 coupler worked just fine, so once again thank you to everyone's advice and help (y)

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, my internet isn't too good here and I hit the "Post reply" button twice :eek:

Regards,
Del

Back