diy solar

diy solar

Is a Buck/Boost converter needed for a DIY battery?

vincentdsnt

I am building the same12 volt 280AH Milk Crate battery using the exact cells and MPP Solar charger / Inverter, the difference is I am using a different BMS ( from Overkill Solar 120A ). I am not sure about using 12 volts from the cells ? Do I just draw voltage from the 12volt fuse box or do I need to install a Buck / Boost converter before the 12v fused panel so I get a true 12volts to the USB and 12volt power points I plan to wire into the the system ?

I am building the same12 volt 280AH Milk Crate battery using the exact cells and MPP Solar charger / Inverter, the difference is I am using a different BMS ( from Overkill Solar 120A ). I am not sure about using 12 volts from the cells ? Do I just draw voltage from the 12volt fuse box or do I need to install a Buck / Boost converter before the 12v fused panel so I get a true 12volts to the USB and 12volt power points I plan to wire into the the system ?
The USB power port for 12V system will have buck converter built-in to provide regulated 5VDC from 12V source to USB port.
The fuse box is for distributing the power to various loads, the fuse for each output will be rated base on your wirng to be able to carry the load current so the wire will not catch on fire if over current occur.
You need find out what the load Voltage requirment is, I.E. what Voltage range can the device operate.

Depends on the loads.
A 12 volt nominal battery discharges from ~13.8 to 10.0 volts.
Its best practice not to draw them down to 10.0 volts though.
12.0 volts as a reasonable cutoff most 12 volt nominal loads can handle this range.
Most things will be ok with that range.

The USB power port for 12V system will have buck converter built-in to provide regulated 5VDC from 12V source to USB port.
The fuse box is for distributing the power to various loads, the fuse for each output will be rated base on your wirng to be able to carry the load current so the wire will not catch on fire if over current occur.
You need find out what the load Voltage requirment is, I.E. what Voltage range can the device operate.
Bud, Thank You for your help.

Depends on the loads.
A 12 volt nominal battery discharges from ~13.8 to 10.0 volts.
Its best practice not to draw them down to 10.0 volts though.
12.0 volts as a reasonable cutoff most 12 volt nominal loads can handle this range.
Most things will be ok with that range.
Thank You for your help this answers my question.

Back