diy solar

diy solar

Is it necessary to compress cells to try to keep them from expanding?

That is the way I am leaning right now but I won't make any decisions until I get up to my house in San Diego to sit out the summer when it is too hot down here. I'm thinking 16s in 2 packs of 8 sxs with threaded rod and maybe a 1/4" aluminum plate on each end. I would probably use 1/4-20 or maybe 5/16"-18 threaded rod.

Well it's pretty hard to argue with the fact that almost every battery manufacturer and car company compresses their cells. I would think that if it was not a serious issue they would avoid adding so much extra expense and weight.
Right. But I am implying one doesn't need to get into the weeds with all of this unless one wants to go there. The only way to apply proper compression through the cells various SOC is to use springs. And I always suggest using braided busbars to prevent terminal stress. There is quite a discussion here but this is related to the 280ah EVE cells.

I am keeping my cells between the knees so I expect more than 2000 cycles. But for my use I will never use 2000 cycles and the cells will start to age well before anything else degrades them because the cells are being used with a UPS. Most are not using full cycles so the cells will last longer. There are many opinions regarding cell compression and everyone can do what ever they want...it's their cells.... :) There are also many various ways people will use their cells. But I think at the very least the cells should be compressed enough to keep them expanding from their normal expansion and in the case of EVE its 2mm per cell.

It's all pretty simple actually ..... if you are interested in maximizing the cycle life of your cells then do a proper compression of your pack as close to 12 PSI as you can get it. ..... check out the thread about using springs

If you aren't concerned about the cycle life then just wrap with tape or ratchet straps, tie wraps, or whatever to secure the pack and call it a day.

Back