diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to 'fast charge' either EcoFlow or Bluetti from my alternator?

BrownsFan

I think both Eco & Bluetti can charge from the cigarette lighter, but I am guessing that is a slow charge time.
How can I "fast charge" these power stations/batteries from my van's alternator?
Can I used a DC-DC module to speed things up?
My Ford Transit has the 60amp CCP (unfortunately, it does not have the 175 amp CCP)

Note: As you can probably tell, I am a complete newbie - lol

Ideas that maybe worth investigating.
The DC input limit is usually limited at 8 to 10 amps at 12v, say 120 watts. If you boost the vehicle 12v with a DC converter to a higher voltage ( to simulate a solar panel), it may allow a higher power, assume 50 amps from your CCP that's 600 watts maximum. The DC output has to be within the alowable voltage and current range, and the converter having a current limit function.
Another possibility is a 12v input inverter connected to the CCP and feed the AC output of the inverter into the AC charging port.
I confess I don't use or install solar generators so cannot guarantee the ideas will function as expected.
Have a look on you tube I guess you will find similar techniques.

How can I "fast charge" these power stations/batteries from my van's alternator?

People who want significant charging from the alternator usually DIY rather than use a "solar generator":

chassis -> {relay, isolator, or DC-DC) -> house battery bank

Especially here on the DIY Solar Forum. :) I assume you haven't actually bought the "power station" yet. If that's the case I encourage you to take your time and figure out what will meet your needs best before spending any money.

But since you asked, the cheapest/simplest workaround might be, as Mike suggests,

CCP -> inverter -> power station wall charger -> power station

In the off-chance the device accepts more than 600w of charging you might look for an option to reduce that in the device's configuration. The combined inverter load (actual load + inverter inefficiency) would need to be less than the CCP's limit.

Editorial: this kind of hoop-jumping is common when people buy packaged solutions then want to do something different with them. "I bought a solar generator so I don't have to do any wiring like you filthy plebes. [two weeks later] Walk me through doing this wiring...."

Speaking just for the ecoflows I have experience with, river 2 and Delta 2 max:

Their solar/mppt input(s)
River 2 - 11-30V - 8A, 110W (single port)
Delta 2 max - 11-60V 15A, 500W (two ports)

When charging from cig lighter they are limited to 8A. The Delta 2 (max) you can use an xt60i cable with signal pin connected to negative (like the ecoflow solar charge cable) to indicate to the Delta 2 that it's good to pull up to 15A.

Back