diy solar

diy solar

Is there a quiet inverter (>2500W, 48V to 120V)?

z_zk_z

Is there an (>2500W, 48Vdc-to-120Vac, 60Hz) inverter that generates less than 40dB fan noise (or even a fanless)? Thanks in advance for your reply ?

Enphase microinverters are silent and fanless... but they're 240 VAC and not 48VDC. Hopefully this post will act as a bump for you. Did you look at the Skybox? Possibly a sealed marine inverter?

Update: Possibly the Outback Power FXR3048A 3000 Watt 48 VDC Sealed Inverter/Charger (UL1741-SA) ? They have a non-fan vented version too, so the only noise of either is probably just the AC hum.

Last edited:
If a 2500w device was 95% efficient, 5% of 2500 is 125w of heat generated in the device. I cant think of something that generates 125w of heat that doesnt also create airflow to deal with it.

If you already have an inverter with a noisy fan, you might be able to replace the existing fan in it with the newer/quiet PC fans. Just depends if the size and power requirements are the same. I've done fan exchanges a couple of times on various gear with mixed success.

If you already have an inverter with a noisy fan, you might be able to replace the existing fan in it with the newer/quiet PC fans. Just depends if the size and power requirements are the same. I've done fan exchanges a couple of times on various gear with mixed success.
Thanks for your reply. I have another post (link below) about replacing the fans but the power consumption of the fans inside my inverter is like ten times the power consumption of the quiet PC fans. User Vigo replied about the heat dissipation (post above) and I happen to have a homemade PC with Intel-i9, 12 generation processor, which I cannot hear it when it is on (using Noctua fans). So, I don't know, if I should replace the fans inside my inverter with Noctua fans, especially the loads on my inverter will never be more than 2000 watts. I could not find the data sheet for the fans inside my inverter.

In general, inverter's best efficiency is at 1/3 of rated power. If your load is 2000W then a 6000W inverter will operate more efficient and have less fan noise. In addition the size of heat sinks and the number of fet switches is directly proportional to inverter rated power. In other words a 6000W inverter will have a much larger heatsink than a 2500W inverter. Temperature rise will be much lower. The fan may not even activate when ambient temperature is 70F. Inverter positioning is also important. A vertical mounted inverter will have better air flow than a horizontal mounted inverter.

The fan is the noisemaker, change the fan with a near-silent PC type.

As @Cal , mounted vertically with the hot air exhausting from the top will be partially cooled by natural convection currents.

I did this to my 2000w inverter which virtually killed the noise

Back