diy solar

diy solar

Is there a "solar" battery charger that runs on 120V AC?

Sleepyaligator

My home runs on grid-tie solar. I don't have batteries so power comes from PG&E at night. However, I would like to run a 400W 120V AC pond aerator 24/7. To run the pump "off-grid" at night, I figure I need roughly a 1000W inverter and a 100Ah battery.
My question is: Is there a solar charge controller that can run off 120V AC during the day to run the pump and charge the battery, and then be on a timer to automatically switch to the battery and inverter at night?

My home runs on grid-tie solar. I don't have batteries so power comes from PG&E at night. However, I would like to run a 400W 120V AC pond aerator 24/7. To run the pump "off-grid" at night, I figure I need roughly a 1000W inverter and a 100Ah battery.
My question is: Is there a solar charge controller that can run off 120V AC during the day to run the pump and charge the battery, and then be on a timer to automatically switch to the battery and inverter at night?

It's nothing to do with a solar charge controller. Charge controllers convert the variable DC power from panels to an acceptable voltage for charging batteries . That is not what you're doing . Your grid tie inverter converts DC solar voltage directly to AC (110v??)

Like you've said, what you need is a battery and an inverter

But youve also got to charge the battery up in the day time, so look for an inverter/charger with 'ac pass through' , and a normal timer to switch the utility electric on/off as you please

Very easy to set up no issues whatsoever

If you send links to equipment you're looking at I can help advise whether it's suitable for this application

Back