diy solar

diy solar

Is there a charger that will do everything?

I wonder if one could just build a simple full wave DC rectifier circuit (4 diodes) to make a DC out of a 120v AC power source, and feed that into the PV input of your favorite MPPT charger (which has multiple battery bank voltage options), if the ripple wouldn't screw with it too much.

Example:
View attachment 185642
I am planning on using a variable AC transformer that will take input of 120v AC and can transform to a range of 0 to 130 AC, this will feed a full bridge rectifier so I can vary the DC voltage peak once rectified. I will try unfiltered rectified AC into a 100v 60A MPPT in one of my all in one units.

120v AC transformed to 70 AC x 1.414 would give me a peak of 98.98v DC.

I’m worried about the ripple and its potential impact on the MPPT, however I am hopeful there is a capacitor on the input side of the MPPT to smooth things out? I never checked how they operate.

I am planning on using a variable AC transformer that will take input of 120v AC and can transform to a range of 0 to 130 AC, this will feed a full bridge rectifier so I can vary the DC voltage peak once rectified. I will try unfiltered rectified AC into a 100v 60A MPPT in one of my all in one units.

120v AC transformed to 70 AC x 1.414 would give me a peak of 98.98v DC.

I’m worried about the ripple and its potential impact on the MPPT, however I am hopeful there is a capacitor on the input side of the MPPT to smooth things out? I never checked how they operate.

Yeah, I wondered about how the ripple would affect the MPPT circuit too. You could always put your own capacitor, inductor, or choke filter on, maybe if you have a scope to check result and confirm the signal is fairly smooth after filtering...

Yeah, I wondered about how the ripple would affect the MPPT circuit too. You could always put your own capacitor, inductor, or choke filter on, maybe if you have a scope to check result and confirm the signal is fairly smooth after filtering...
Would you know to purchase to match the parameters? I have a standard bridge rectifier ordered and would want something able to be mated easily verses soldering anything.

I will test anything you suggest, or if you like me and don't know what to buy to meet the needs of the smoothing out the ripple. I ordered a cheap scope to see what is what for this test.

Attachments

• F3.PNG
    F3.PNG
    465.6 KB · Views: 0
Would you know to purchase to match the parameters? I have a standard bridge rectifier ordered and would want something able to be mated easily verses soldering anything.

I will test anything you suggest, or if you like me and don't know what to buy to meet the needs of the smoothing out the ripple. I ordered a cheap scope to see what is what for this test.

The main thing is to buy the parts that can support the max voltages they will be exposed to, and also the max current of the circuit. I am not an electronics engineer, just a home hobbyist who's fixed a few random broken electronics. I've built a rectifier for a home project before, it was relatively low amperage, and I just used 4 diodes rated a bit higher than I needed to pass in the circuit.

I've never had to design a DC smoothing circuit before, but I've read about the various methods of getting the job done. It shouldn't be too hard though, it is a simple add-on, maybe read some forums to find a few guidelines on which method to use (capacitor, inductor, or choke filter, perhaps there are others), and how to size the components and whatnot.

The good part about owning a scope, is when you're playing with different components (like different sized caps or something), you can see the end result and decide if it's good a enough waveform for you to try in your real project, or whether you want to play with changing a few things to try and get the scope waveform cleaner. I would usually try and test the circuit unloaded, and also loaded (at different load current points that the circuit would regularly operate at (just to confirm waveform is consistent under full spectrum of real-world operation).

Last edited:

Here is a good discussion that gives more insight about smoothing a rectified waveform:

Here is a good discussion that gives more insight about smoothing a rectified waveform:

I ended up buying this:

1705101134920.png
1705101235137.png

It shoud convert maximum of 100v AC into 141.4 DC upto 1200 watts. I'll use my transformer to step down the AC voltage to 70V and should get a smoothish 98.98 v DC to match my all in one. Great link by the way!

I ended up buying this:

View attachment 188581
View attachment 188582

It shoud convert maximum of 100v AC into 141.4 DC upto 1200 watts. I'll use my transformer to step down the AC voltage to 70V and should get a smoothish 98.98 v DC to match my all in one. Great link by the way!

Interesting... We live in such a modular world today, with all the building blocks we need so we don't have to reinvent the wheel every time we want to get some task accomplished.. Thanks for sharing, let us know how well it works in the end!

Back