diy solar

diy solar

Is there a way to eliminate inverter idle draw?

Hello from Australia, hoping to continue this discussion. If there is a different thread I should be looking at I hope you can direct me to it please.
I have a similar issue with standby/no-load consumption with my stand alone (not grid interactive) farm/workshop 24v PV system.
The heart of my system is an MPPsolar PIP-Max 3624 (24v) charger/inverter with Pylontech UP2500 24-volt 2.55kWh Lithium Battery.

My issue is the MPPsolar PIP-Max 3624 (24v) charger/inverter draws up to 45W standby/no-load current. i am looking for a simple, no-harm way to shut this off charger/inverter off around sunset and turn it on again in the morning after sunrise.

Noone is there after dark and the only night time loads are run directly from the 24v battery bank: the 24v solar fridge, 12v security camera system and recharging some of the 12v rechargeable batteries for cordless power tools and 2-way radio as required (via a voltage reducer again directly from the battery bank).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Gus

If you want the inverter to draw absolutely zero power in standby, I would suggest finding a stick or pole long enough to reach the on off switch from your bedroom so you can shut it off at night.

There is no bedroom. The site is attended only 3 or 4 days a week.
i’m really looking for a solution for the days of each week when noone is on site to physically turn it off at dusk and back on in the morning.

What about a dedicated, little solar panel with a relay?

Hi all, new to this forum, but read it for a while. Came upon this topic while researching ways to reduce my idle draw on my current system.

My current system draws about 100 watts at idle, which is a lot for my batteries. So it has to be turned off at night, and sometimes, even this is not enough, having to rely on my generator for quick top ups at night.

Things I´ve done and options I´ve considered:
- Leave my main inverter with the auto on-off feature enabled, so loads higher than 40 watts turn it on and then off. This would include my fridge, washing machine, and other appliances connected to my regular 120 volt outlets. One issue is that current electronic devices tend to draw less than 40 watt.
- Add a second small (300-500 watt) victron or similar inverter, for router, lights and small loads (laptops, cell phones etc) 24-7. My current wiring allows me to create independent circuits for these
- Switch to a different inverter charger. Which one?
- and down to 24v system, where idle draw loads tend to be lower.

@ Gus O. If your inverter has an auto on-off feature and an a delay on time (my no name sigineer inverter has it), consider using a small resistive load (60 watt incandescent light bulb) connected to a regular wall timer, set to 1 minute every 90 minutes or so (depending on your inverter settings, between 8 am to 5 pm.

That´s the long term solution. Current batteries are 1 and 2 years old, I would need to parallel 4 new batteries (4s 2p) and from what I´ve read, not ideal mixing old and new. Also, that´s the most expensive purchase in the system. Other option is to create another system with current batteries (for the fridge and washing machine for example) and buy 2 new 300 ah batteries at 24v for a new system. Current batteries will probably last me another year, since they have been used a lot more than expected. When I did the initial system I under specified my demand, did not take into account the inverter draw, and did not expect covid and work / study from home for 3 people.... I guess there´s a price to pay for experience...

Here´s what I´ve priced:

and a small inverter for 24-7 loads:

The main inverter is a bit on the low side as far as watts, but is the same as what we currently have, and have had little issues with it, not counting the laser printer, which will probably be replaced by an inkjet, and power tools for which we have a honda eu2000 generator. It´s no load draw is less than 25 watt and power saver at 10 watt. That´s at least 1.8 kw less per day than my current inverter.

I´ve not made up my mind yet, so feel free to offer any kind of suggestions.

Last edited:
Not sure that old and new is such a big deal with the extended life of lithium. This more of a lead-acid thing. If the current batteries are in good shape I would just add more.

Otherwise to cut the draw I would be looking at separate components. Dedicated inverter could be rigged with a timer to the power switch to be off at night. Some have a very low power sleep mode that searches for a load every 10 to 30 seconds. Stand alone solar controller sleeps good at night.

AGM´s unfortunately....

Agreed. Turning the main inverter at night no big problem, The refrigerator is on for only 8+ hours every day (from 9 till 5 pm) (we´re at 3000 m above sea level, so very cold). Also, maybe it´s a perception thing, but I do believe we sleep better when all electricity and wi-fi is off. All we need to know is how to reach the bathroom without tripping :)

Back