diy solar

diy solar

Is this a legit way to wire spd’s?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
Came across this web site, and they stuck the spd wires into the pv input.

is this legit? It would seem to me that it’s too late? I’m thinking the spd should be inline, and before the charge controller? So it can “catch” the surge?

IMG_6180.jpeg

Kinda looks like it, if the leads on the SPD are longer than the distance to what's being protected?
Mine are in the fused combiner box. If the SPD faults, then the fuse should open too.

That's fine. The objective is to be on the end of the wiring, closest to what you want to protect.
If the SCC is the only connection on that end, then that's the only way to do it.
I would rather see a disconnect, right before the SCC. And connect the SPD there.
That single pole breaker, doesn't qualify as a disconnect.

That's fine. The objective is to be on the end of the wiring, closest to what you want to protect.
If the SCC is the only connection on that end, then that's the only way to do it.
I would rather see a disconnect, right before the SCC. And connect the SPD there.
That single pole breaker, doesn't qualify as a disconnect.

im planning on one of these types of disconnect:

IMG_6187.jpegSo the plan is array > busbar (where disconnect and spd hook up) > disconnect > charge controller.

but I thought I can now skip the busbar and wire the spd into the CC.

would you bother with an spd at the array too? Was thinking of,skipping a junction box (where I’d put the spd) and wire directly from array to busbar.

im planning on one of these types of disconnect:

View attachment 186546So the plan is array > busbar (where disconnect and spd hook up) > disconnect > charge controller.

but I thought I can now skip the busbar and wire the spd into the CC.

would you bother with an spd at the array too? Was thinking of,skipping a junction box (where I’d put the spd) and wire directly from array to busbar.
That's fine.
If you add an SPD at the array. It will only protect the solar panels.
Personally I wouldn't bother.
But it doesn't hurt to do both.
It's more important to protect your equipment.

Which website was it? I’d like to learn more about these.
Google midnite solar and watch their utube vids …about 100 bucks each…im using a few of 115 v and 300 v.. both at the array and 65 ft away at the solar trailer … they have cool blue lights ..that will match yer Victron stuff…haaa.

Thanks. I don’t understand how they work.

Seems like a surge can simply bypass the device.

But the blue light may carry the day. ?

Thanks. I don’t understand how they work.

Seems like a surge can simply bypass the device.

But the blue light may carry the day. ?
When the voltage exceeds the rating. It shunts it to ground.
Which is where the surge is trying to get to.

I splurged on the Midnite 300V DC SPDs.
I put one on each of my 3 ground-mount strings, before the combiner box.
Then I put another where the PV enters the house (220 ft away).

I also put an AC 300V SPD on the inverters.
The blue lights are a bonus, though clearly not quite Victron blue. :p

Last edited:
I splurged on the Midnite 300V DC SPDs.
I put one on each of my 3 ground-mount strings, before the combiner box.
Then I put another where the PV enters the house (220 ft away).

I also put an AC 300V SPD on the inverters.
The blue lights are a bonus, though clearly not quite Victron blue.
The blinking lights color on the SCCs and some of the dongles and other devices ..etc , are the same color as the spd lights…it must be a common light color…it’s seems to used slot.…that’s what I meant.. not the exact color of the paint on a Victron…

That's fine.
If you add an SPD at the array. It will only protect the solar panels.
Personally I wouldn't bother.
My setup is 120. For the ac spd I will have an extra wire. (Red goes to l1 black to l2 in a 220). So would you just connect the red or black? “Double up” and connect red and black to line? Or should I connect to neutral? I don’t have an ac in (well generator, so not sure if I should bother)

still trying to understand why Midnite doesn’t say to wire the ac spd to line and neutral

My setup is 120. For the ac spd I will have an extra wire. (Red goes to l1 black to l2 in a 220). So would you just connect the red or black? “Double up” and connect red and black to line? Or should I connect to neutral? I don’t have an ac in (well generator, so not sure if I should bother)

still trying to understand why Midnite doesn’t say to wire the ac spd to line and neutral
SPD's should be placed on any wiring that enters the building.
If you don't have any AC input. That will be omitted for your list.
How far away is the generator? And is it permanently connected?

SPD's should be placed on any wiring that enters the building.
If you don't have any AC input. That will be omitted for your list.
How far away is the generator? And is it permanently connected?
Generator is in the same shed as everything. Maybe 5 feet away? It’s not permantly connected, and only connected when needed So if I don’t need to protect ac in then I’ll have an unused wire on the spd

SpongeBob on the Midnite forums has said you can either “double up” on the line, or you can put the spd on the line and neutral on a 120 panel. Would there be a preference for any reason?

Generator is in the same shed as everything. Maybe 5 feet away? It’s not permantly connected, and only connected when needed So if I don’t need to protect ac in then I’ll have an unused wire on the spd
Not needed.
SpongeBob on the Midnite forums has said you can either “double up” on the line, or you can put the spd on the line and neutral on a 120 panel. Would there be a preference for any reason?
Line and neutral will give you the most protection.

Back