diy solar

diy solar

Is this diagram correct? What would I be missing or doing incorrectly?

Travis55

I made a diagram in Microsoft paint (sorry for the terrible artwork). Am I missing anything here (even little stuff)? I'm a beginner to solar and have been researching for a few months. The system will be totally off-grid and have no grid-tie in, with it's own separate subpanel. Thanks!

Attachments

• solar.png
    solar.png
    21.3 KB · Views: 49
Why not put the appropriate breaker for the AIO in the subpanel? The output should have a built-in breaker or fuse from the factory, so really all you need is a disconnect rated a shade less that the fuse/breaker in the AIO, and 15- or 20A breakers (or 10A?) appropriate for the circuits in the box.

Probably should have surge protection somewhere between panels and AIO, and the 150A CB circuit should probably include a Class-T fuse at the battery.

That battery is tiny in relation to the amount of panels charging it. I'm assuming you want to go with Li? I'd say you need to scale up the battery Ah 3-4X what you are proposing now. Even bigger if you are going with traditional lead-acid.

That battery is tiny in relation to the amount of panels charging it. I'm assuming you want to go with Li? I'd say you need to scale up the battery Ah 3-4X what you are proposing now. Even bigger if you are going with traditional lead-acid.
Okay good to know, I am going with LiFePo4. I will scale it up, going to start with just one and will add as budget allows

Why not put the appropriate breaker for the AIO in the subpanel? The output should have a built-in breaker or fuse from the factory, so really all you need is a disconnect rated a shade less that the fuse/breaker in the AIO, and 15- or 20A breakers (or 10A?) appropriate for the circuits in the box.

Probably should have surge protection somewhere between panels and AIO, and the 150A CB circuit should probably include a Class-T fuse at the battery.
Someone told me that you need a redundant breaker in between the panel and the AIO, even if the panel has a main breaker, not sure though!

I do have 20 amp breakers (400V DC) planned for inline between the panels and the AIO, as part of the outdoor and indoor disconnects, is that okay?

Last edited:
do have 20 amp breakers (400V DC) planned for inline between the panels and the AIO, as part of the outdoor and indoor disconnects, is that okay?
I’d rate the breakers at like 25% over your panel amps even if using “20A wire.”

Okay good to know, I am going with LiFePo4. I will scale it up, going to start with just one and will add as budget allows
I think you are going to get a hard reality check here. I can imagine the size of the inverter tripping the battery's BMS, and then you have to go through the trouble of trying to reboot your battery. Start with at least a 200Ah battery, and upgrade to 400Ah later. Buy the appropriate components at the start, and you end up spending less total money in the long run.

I think you are going to get a hard reality check here. I can imagine the size of the inverter tripping the battery's BMS, and then you have to go through the trouble of trying to reboot your battery. Start with at least a 200Ah battery, and upgrade to 400Ah later. Buy the appropriate components at the start, and you end up spending less total money in the long run.
Okay, I will start with 10kw for 200 AH. Are the EG4 batteries an okay pick? The 48V lifepo4 or newer LL version are what I was thinking of.

I’d rate the breakers at like 25% over your panel amps even if using “20A wire.”

Do you mean the solar panel amps? Each set of 6 in series will make 12.81 amps at full power, so 25% would be 16A breaker which is a bit obscure, which is why I rounded up to 20 amps, is that okay? I'm going use a thick wire even though I don't need it (6 gauge underground spec).

Do you mean the solar panel amps? Each set of 6 in series will make 12.81 amps at full power, so 25% would be 16A breaker which is a bit obscure, which is why I rounded up to 20 amps, is that okay? I'm going use a thick wire even though I don't need it (6 gauge underground spec).
I may not be typical but a) I’d use 15A for a breaker (6ga notwithstanding), and b) I didn’t go and look but my recollection on higher voltage DC breakers is that there are models available with ‘odd’ ratings. I believe my arrays of 100W panels (started with two panels and expanded to four, six, eight, ten over time) have 8A DC breakers, and I seem to recall them being available in 10,12,15,16,20,25.
EDIT:
I did go look one brand up here

These are the offerings of one of the lines, and they have 500 and 1000V models, also:
IMG_7952.jpg

Back