diy solar

diy solar

Is this the correct understanding of Bulk vs Float?

Jazaddict

I have a renogy 3000 inverter /charger.

Do the Bulk and float settings affect WHEN the AC charger is turned on?
I don't think so.
I think bulk/float affect how much current is input to the batteries during charge thus shortening the charge time when bulk set higher.

So setting both to the lowest actually lengthens the time on AC charge because the trickle charge is minimized.

If I increased the Bulk to, say, 14.4, wouldn't that result in higher voltage charge from the AC Charger for longer....thus getting the battery charged faster?

In fact, the battery bank will reach full charge sooner with a higher bulk rate of 14.4.

Am I right?

I think bulk/float affect how much current is input to the batteries during charge thus shortening the charge time when bulk set higher.
Bulk is the same as Constant Current. Often there is voltage setting, which is where the charger transitions from Constant Current to Constant Voltage (Absorb). Some chargers let you also set the current.

So setting both to the lowest actually lengthens the time on AC charge because the trickle charge is minimized.

If I increased the Bulk to, say, 14.4, wouldn't that result in higher voltage charge from the AC Charger for longer....thus getting the battery charged faster?

In fact, the battery bank will reach full charge sooner with a higher bulk rate of 14.4.Yes, a higher Constant Voltage setting for Absorb will mean the bulk phase will be longer
Yes a higher Voltage setting my result in faster charge if the current increases. Some chargers allow current adjustment.

Float or trickle is usually a separate setting and should not affect Bulk (CC) or Absorb (CV). Once you have that concept, then your use case will determine what the setting for Float should be. I assume this is an AC charger. What type of batteries? What is the use case? Backup, Off Grid or other?

Last edited:
4 agm 200ah renogy 12v batteries in parallel .
I'm off-gridding 3 refrigerators.

4 300w panels in 2series, those 2 parallel to a 60amp grape charge controller.

The CC is set Float 13.5, Bulk 14.4.

The question i have is: are these Float and Bulk voltages I'm setting up on the invertir refer to the charger portion only? Or do they change when the invertor flips beyween AC Utilitiy power out to battery bank power out?

Those are charge settings, Your inverter may also have discharge settings. What does your inverter and battery manufacturer say the settings should be?

Back