diy solar

diy solar

ISO battery monitor for remote off-grid--Ethernet or WiFi (Not BlueTooth)

PConlin

Looking for a legit battery monitor that uses a current shut to track SOC. But this is a remote site so BT phone apps are not going to help and aiming a web cam at a display is silly. We have Internet access and a wired network so something with an Ethernet port would be ideal. WiFi would be acceptable. The ideal product would send SMS and/or email alerts when SOC drops below a programmable threshold. I am completely amazed as to how difficult this product is to find.
The Victron SmartShunt with CERBO GX is the only solution so far. That would run $472. Not impossible to justify but feels expensive given the dozens of low cost BT monitors available.
The same Victron SmartShunt with a VE.direct-to-USB adapter, Pi and Victron Venus OS is $262 including a fan case, power supply, memory card etc. Better price and maybe a fun little project but I'd rather buy something plug and play. Also a little worried about durability through high and low temperature swings as this would be in an outdoor enclosure.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have the Victron Cerbo GX and the BMV-712. I can connect the Cerbo GX through my Starlink Internet connection. I don't often do that but I have. It works well.

My Cerbo is connected to three other Victron devices besides the shunt. It's also running two sets of fans using the internal relays.

Perhaps a Drok soc monitor device (many models on Amazon with shunts or hall effect, some with relays) might allow you to take actions based on alarms.

Docs are often atrocious, but prices are definitely in DIY range ...

I have the Victron Cerbo GX and the BMV-712. I can connect the Cerbo GX through my Starlink Internet connection. I don't often do that but I have. It works well.

My Cerbo is connected to three other Victron devices besides the shunt. It's also running two sets of fans using the internal relays.
Thanks for the Cerbo endorsement. I do agree this is good gear. You say you sometimes remote access via Internet. You do know their VRM portal gives you pretty much what info you need without going to the site, right?
If this site had more functions/devices the Cerbo could monitor then it would make the box easier to justify. The point of my post to see if anyone else has battery SOC monitoring with Ethernet/WiFi connectivity.

Perhaps a Drok soc monitor device (many models on Amazon with shunts or hall effect, some with relays) might allow you to take actions based on alarms.

Docs are often atrocious, but prices are definitely in DIY range ...
There are many SOC monitors, like Drok, but they all communicate via a visual screen or maybe a Bluetooth app. But how to get that data remotely via the Internet? I didn't know Drok had dry contact outputs. Thanks for mentioning that. Maybe its relay could be programmed to trigger on low SOC but, again, how to get that bit of information to the Internet and ultimately to an alert on my email/phone that is not present at the site? And actual SOC would be way more useful than just "low".

"The point of my post to see if anyone else has battery SOC monitoring with Ethernet/WiFi connectivity."

What is the model of battery and/or "display" that you have at the remote site, if that info can be shared?

I believe you are leaning towards off-the-shelf (OTS) single product only? Something like this:

discoverbattery.com/products/communication-solutions/lynk-2-gateway

Didn't investigate further for pricing, etc.

Hope this helps ...

I'm using some of the Arduino IOT stuff for a solar powered smart garden and monitoring the 18650 battery that powers it. It's pretty DIY and requires some simple C++ but it can be monitored from the cloud, and you can control relays from the cloud as well.

The youtube link is my channel. Not sure why it pulls up all of that, but here also is someone elses project that may be more what you're looking to do.

The controller used there, has cellular as well.

Last edited:
"The point of my post to see if anyone else has battery SOC monitoring with Ethernet/WiFi connectivity."

What is the model of battery and/or "display" that you have at the remote site, if that info can be shared?

I believe you are leaning towards off-the-shelf (OTS) single product only? Something like this:

discoverbattery.com/products/communication-solutions/lynk-2-gateway

Didn't investigate further for pricing, etc.

Hope this helps ...
Interesting product. Thanks. Didn't price it but looks expensive. But more importantly, looks focused on their battery products so not seeing it being suited for our application. We are using 4x Ampere Time brand 100AHr 12v LiFePO4 batteries with arranged 24v. The model with built-in heaters as this is in a metal enclosure without HVAC. Ampere Time has simple BT cell voltage monitoring but BT is near impossible to use remotely. Hence the OP asking for Ethernet SOC monitoring hardware.

I'm using some of the Arduino IOT stuff for a solar powered smart garden and monitoring the 18650 battery that powers it. It's pretty DIY and requires some simple C++ but it can be monitored from the cloud, and you can control relays from the cloud as well.

The youtube link is my channel. Not sure why it pulls up all of that, but here also is someone elses project that may be more what you're looking to do.

The controller used there, has cellular as well.

You are doing cool stuff. Nice job on the YouTube video/channel. Thanks for the link. A little too DIY for what I had (incorrectly) assumed would be an easy Amazon purchase. Turns out Ethernet has gone out of fashion as BT has become dirt cheap. Feels like there is a hole in the marketplace for some company to fill. I thought Internet connectivity would be common and popular, but I guess not.

To close out this thread in case anyone finds it in a search later... no luck finding a SOC monitor with Ethernet.

I am going with the Victron solution with it's Ethernet port and web portal for this project. Still interested in Ethernet/WiFi connected options if anyone finds one. What finally tipped the balance to Victron is me just discovering Victron has a Cerbo-S which is the same as the normal Cerbo GX but without BMS-Can port, Tank- and Temperature monitoring inputs, which I don't need. Not sure when this 'S' model came out but it is new information to me. $63 cheaper brings the Victron CerboS+SmartShunt solution within about $140 of a SmartShunt+VenusPI self-assembled system and that is a premium I decided was worth paying.

Hope this helps someone.

I spent an hour Googling the idea of a BT / Ethernet bridge and didn't find anything. Certainly not a plug-and-play solution. Ethernet/WiFi comms is IP address based but, I understand correctly, BT is not. The bridge, if there is such a thing, might map BT to an IP address but you then have the problem of of the client software expecting BT comms, not IP address. I think two bridges would be required: client BT to Ethernet then Ethernet to battery BT. I gave up on the idea. IMO equipment manufacturers should always support Ethernet and provide BT as an option but clearly this industry/market doesn't agree with me.

Back