diy solar

diy solar

ISO gasket / ideas to waterproof a roof made of solar panels

z_zk_z

I am looking for ideas & products to keep the area under my solar panels dry. My panels are attached to strut channels and the struts are connected to the wood framing (see photos). I don’t want to use caulking and I am thinking to overlap the panel edges, by an inch (top-to-bottom, in the rain flow direction), have a main gutter at the bottom to capture all the rain, and use gutters under each adjacent section (top-to-bottom to capture rain, and divert to the main gutter). Thanks in advance for any ideas / product recommendation / photos / videos / etc.

1000054687.jpg

1000054684.jpg

Interesting. Petulant many ways to deal the gaps between the labels but never seen anything commercially manufactured.

From the photos it doesn't look like you have enough slope to "shingle" the panels. If you don't want to use sealant then I would try to make it leak and add gutters horizontally between each row as close to the panels as possible. Perpendicular to that I would use a silicon t-gasket. First Google link: https://therubbercompany.com/extrusions-profiles/silicone-extrusions/silicone-t-seal-profiles

Yeah, a couple of the commercial systems for car-ports worked like that, I think there's another thread on a similar subject.

EDIT One of several.

Back