diy solar

diy solar

It's Working!!! Sol-Ark 15K, 33.52kW with 67 Panels AC+DC PV, 25kW SOK Batteries - Photo Diary

$80 rsd? The growatt uses the tigo AF rsd. $30 for the single and $46 for the dual that handles two inverters.
I have 11.2kw. the growatt 7.6k will handle that at $1049+ $644 for the rsd - total $1693.

I don't know of any micro inverter solution that comes close.
NEP. 800W micro handles two panels. ~$2000 for 10

And if one needed to add optimizers, that is already included with using micros.

Last edited:
I can connect 28 of my panels to a growatt 11.4k for $1500 or a growatt 7.6k for $1049
28 panels is 14 micros. 11.2k for ~$2800 with 10 year warranty, UL and a failure only takes out two panels.

NEP gets even more expensive when they die within 1-2 years. Happened to a few people here
Recently? Which models?
How many years is a Growatt warranty?

Maybe Tigo has improved, but it used to be just the opposite. Micros rarely failed, but Tigos did all the time.

Last edited:
10 years. So the Sol-Ark and Growatt's have the same length of warranty. So far, Growatt's support has been decent, once you figure out how to reach them. One nice thing about the Growatts is that they are passively cooled. They only get barely warm even with 7kW running through them. Nice actually.

10 years. So the Sol-Ark and Growatt's have the same length of warranty. So far, Growatt's support has been decent, once you figure out how to reach them. One nice thing about the Growatts is that they are passively cooled. They only get barely warm even with 7kW running through them. Nice actually.
They have confusing website:

(3) Warranty claim: in general, serial number(S/N)must be provided in order to claim warranty. Basically, the standard warranty period is 10 years from the date of installation, and no more than 5 and half years from the date of delivery from Growatt factory

?

And Signature Solar only list their Growatt inverters as having a two years warranty?

Your thread over on Reddit was all the convincing I needed , to use this for ac couplingIMG_20231115_164015719.jpg

Last edited:
Your thread over on Reddit was all the convincing I needed , to use this for a coupling

Awesome. :) If you just got one then there won't be problems. I had two and they were fighting each other. James West (love that name) over at Growatt changed the frequency limit before it starts curtailing to 60.2 Hz. This is really only necessary if you're off grid and doing AC Coupling.

Recently? Which models?
BDM600, most recent version.

Note we're talking about the Grid tie Growatts here. Which I understand to be very different beasts from the off-grid Growatts. I keep them separate in my head.

Awesome. :) If you just got one then there won't be problems. I had two and they were fighting each other. James West (love that name) over at Growatt changed the frequency limit before it starts curtailing to 60.2 Hz. This is really only necessary if you're off grid and doing AC Coupling.
Oh, do they do the flavor of UL1741 anti-islanding where they intentionally try to destabilize each other out of equilibrium until they lock out? I've sort of theory crafted that as a higher risk when AC coupling.

The SS document has 10 years warranty:

Even then, these are so inexpensive, perfect for me for AC Coupled to the Sol-Ark. Can't complain about their performance either. Today the PV briefly hit 25kW for the first time with everything cranking out. Bloody awesome.

Have you tried stress testing the SolArk with DC string off and turning loads on/off (to force the inverter to switch back and forth between invert and charge mode)? When I get more time I'll dig up a test plan I wanted some folks to do for science. I don't think SolArk recommends that you do that, I just want to understand a bit more about what kind of bad things happen when you abuse it like this.

Just one for now but may add a smaller one later. What's the factory curtailment set at? Do you have yours set to ca rule 21?

BDM600, most recent version.

Note we're talking about the Grid tie Growatts here. Which I understand to be very different beasts from the off-grid Growatts. I keep them separate in my head.

Oh, do they do the flavor of UL1741 anti-islanding where they intentionally try to destabilize each other out of equilibrium until they lock out? I've sort of theory crafted that as a higher risk when AC coupling.
Why would they do that I'm curious? Would they just both sync to the formed grid? I'm shocked that they wouldn't act in sync

Last edited:
Why would they do that in curious? Would they just both sync to the formed grid? I'm shocked that they wouldn't act in sync
? In theory they probably should not successfully drive each other into a forced unstable state with the formed grid present, which is trying to be locked as a stable frequency source. But there is still something designed to force out of equilibrium in the mix.

I'm not sure if POCO would detect it if you naughtily expand the F-W deadband beyond what Rule21 says.

EDIT: I take that back, they can figure it out with some basic programming on the smart meter since they can easily see your house's individual contribution & response during curtailment situations.

? In theory they probably should not successfully drive each other into a forced unstable state with the formed grid present, which is trying to be locked as a stable frequency source. But there is still something designed to force out of equilibrium in the mix.

I'm not sure if POCO would detect it if you naughtily expand the F-W deadband beyond what Rule21 says.
Afaik They couldn't: if the grid is up everything syncs to it so this should only be an issue in a grid down scenario

Back