diy solar

diy solar

I've sized my desired system. Now what?

FriendshipFarm

I want to spend $3-4K per month to build out a 48 panel, 19.44 KW 48V ground mount system, rack mounted batteries for at least 32.4kW of stored power, and a 22-24kW natural gas/dual fuel generator. start off with one inverter for 50 amps (maybe), and add another one later to get me up to 100 amps. I know it'll take me a while to get it all purchased and installed, and I think I can do most of it myself. I'll use my main breaker box for my critical loads panel. I'm gonna pour a pad behind my house for a power house and generator pad.

So where would you start if you were me? I'm starting on the power house pad, and I'll buy the generator next. I think the batteries would come next. Would you buy and install the ground mounts next, and start buying panels as I can afford them, or buy the inverters next? How do I make sure I don't paint myself in a corner by getting incompatible equipment? What about brands?

Inverter:
Schneider Conext XW Pro
Solark 15k
EG4 18kPV

Battery:
Lifepower4
EG4 Powerpro
DIY Lifepo4

These are the flavors of ice cream we eat around here, up to you to pick.

Can't really paint yourself into a corner as long as you start on 48v.

If you need UL9540 for permits everything gets a lot harder.

Last edited:
I'll use my main breaker box for my critical loads panel. I'm gonna pour a pad behind my house for a power house and generator pad.
Do you have grid power available or not at all. That would determine the order in which you purchase things.
So where would you start if you were me? I'm starting on the power house pad, and I'll buy the generator next. I think the batteries would come next. Would you buy and install the ground mounts next, and start buying panels as I can afford them, or buy the inverters next? How do I make sure I don't paint myself in a corner by getting incompatible equipment? What about brands?
If you don't have power available on the property at all then the Power House and Gen first make sense. If you already have some kind of temp power like a portable generator. I Would start with the ground mount then some solar panels then the Inverter. Some inverter models will operate on PV only and don't need a battery until the 2nd inverter is added. This is your fastest route to getting usable solar energy without a battery.
Schneider is a good solid choice for an inverter but it does need a battery to operate as well as separate charge controllers.

Do you have grid power available or not at all. That would determine the order in which you purchase things.

If you don't have power available on the property at all then the Power House and Gen first make sense. If you already have some kind of temp power like a portable generator. I Would start with the ground mount then some solar panels then the Inverter. Some inverter models will operate on PV only and don't need a battery until the 2nd inverter is added. This is your fastest route to getting usable solar energy without a battery.
Schneider is a good solid choice for an inverter but it does need a battery to operate as well as separate charge controllers.
yep, I've got grid power now. But I'm waaaay out in the country and power is frequently not stable

I suggest slowing down a bit here and go into more detail as to how you are coming up with your numbers before going to the design stage. You came up with a "19.44 KW 48V ground mount system"? You want a 22-24kW generator? Please explain why? I'd say all your numbers are doable, but quite extravagent. Where are these numbers coming from? I'd say you could put something highly functional together with far less capacity then you outline, for far less money. Please outline the decisions involved with coming up with these numbers.

I suggest slowing down a bit here and go into more detail as to how you are coming up with your numbers before going to the design stage. You came up with a "19.44 KW 48V ground mount system"? You want a 22-24kW generator? Please explain why? I'd say all your numbers are doable, but quite extravagent. Where are these numbers coming from? I'd say you could put something highly functional together with far less capacity then you outline, for far less money. Please outline the decisions involved with coming up with these numbers.
I have a large (5000+ sq ft), older house, a workshop, a barn, and an outdoor food prep kitchen to power, even off grid. But thanks, you make an excellent point. I'll go back over everything.

Doing grid tied you should also talk to your electric company to see how big of system they will let you connect. Sometimes their system cant handle a larger solar install without upgrades on their side and depends who pays for that. Most of the time falls on the customer that might limit how much you can export.

I have a large (5000+ sq ft), older house, a workshop, a barn, and an outdoor food prep kitchen to power, even off grid. But thanks, you make an excellent point. I'll go back over everything.
Have done any kind of power auditing yet? I'm guessing your biggest single load is going to be air-conditioning? What is your plan on that? Will it be central air, or room cooling? Will there be a well-pump? Besides air-conditioning, I'd say pumping water is most likely your single largest load. How many people will be occupying the home? Big family, or just the wife and yourself? Will winter heat be by gas? How will you be cooking?

In my own case, I've built separate systems for my home and workshop, completely independent on each other. One reason is redundancy. Another is distance. The workshop is just far enough away that I did not want to run power to it. For hot water and the cookstove, I went with propane

Do you have any electric bills handy for what your family has consumed in the past? That would be a good starting point. I'd say that putting together a system that accomplishes most of what you want is very doable, and at significantly smaller scale then what you are talking about. On the other hand, a system large enough to be totally transparent, and you forget it is there, is going to be seriously expensive.

Will depend a lot on how energy conscious the rest of the family is. Got teen-age girls that MUST blow-dry their hair each and every morning? Things like that?

Before starting to build your solar and energy storage system, there are some steps that can help you stay organized:

Design and planning: Make sure you have a detailed design and planning before you start. Determine your energy needs, available space, budget, and system components. You've already mentioned panels, energy storage, inverters, and generators, which is a good place to start.

Energy Requirements: Define your energy needs so you can determine how many solar panels and storage capacity you need. This helps ensure that your system is adequate to meet your energy needs.

Panel selection: Determine the number and type of panels that fit your budget and space. Depending on your budget, you can purchase a portion of the panel and expand it gradually.

Energy storage selection: Select the right energy storage solution based on the energy demand and the power generation of the panel. Consider storage capacity, battery type, and lifetime.

Inverter selection: Choose an inverter based on your system size and current requirements. Make sure the inverter is compatible with your panel and battery.

Generator selection: Consider the backup energy source and choose the right generator. Make sure the generator capacity is sufficient to support your load.

Order of installation: Typically, you will install solar panels and energy storage systems first, followed by inverters and generators. Ensure that the connections and interactions between all components are compatible.

Professional support: Consider consulting a professional, especially regarding design and electrical connections. They can ensure the security and performance of the system.

Gradual implementation: If you have a limited budget, you can implement your plan gradually, starting with a small number of panels and energy storage, and then gradually expanding.

Above all, make sure you have a clear understanding of the overall plan and do sufficient research and consultation before implementing it. This will help avoid incompatible equipment and ensure that your system can operate efficiently and meet your energy needs.

Back